Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jolly-63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 01:07 AM
    How do I false Daughter and son in law to repay a debt in full
    About 5 years ago I arranged an increase and extension on my mortgage of £20k for my daughter and son-in-law to put a deposit on a home.
    Despite us having had a massive fall out, they do continue to make regular payments into my account to cover the increased mortgage repayments.

I and my partner were made redundant earlier this year and because we have found no work and we are accumilating debts, we want to sell up, pay off my mortgage and put the remaining equity into a home and business.

We really need the money back that I loaned out in a lump sum but don't know how I can approach this as they are making the loan repayments.

I did ask them to sort out a way of paying me back but was told that they didn't have it.

Any sugggestions please.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2012, 06:46 AM
    Was there any written agreement on repayment?

What does this mean?
    I and my partner were made redundant
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:58 AM
    5 years, 20K, how much balance do they owe? I can't imagine someone paying less than 200/mo, so with no interest they would have paid off 12K.
    (Made redundant I think means laid off.)
    If there was no term (last month of final payment) set in the agreement, I don't see how you can pass your troubles on to them, sorry.
    Also, how much planning has gone into selling one home and buying another? You might get a good deal on a cheaper home but might not be able to sell your current home. Have you listed it, at no cost to you, just to see what the market is like?
    Jolly-63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
    The loan was taken out in my name and is running concurrently with my own mortgage to expire when I retire in 12 years time. The monthly repayments (for their loan part) is appx £145 per mth. The balance outstanding now is £15, 500.

There was no written agreement for them to pay it back it was agreed between us verbally. And as I say, they are still making the payments.

Redundancy means that through no fault of our own, my partner and I are out of work.

I have lived at my home for more than 20 years so my mortgage is small and the equity released will cover some debts that we are accumulating and pay my mortgage. The money that is left will be used to buy a business with accommodation.

Hope that is a little clearer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Without a written agreement you don't have very many options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter is 7and won't eat she can go a full day with out anything [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 7yrs old and won't eat she can go a full day with nothing to eat and she is really thin

Settlig debt vs paying it in full [ 1 Answers ]

What difference does it make (with my credit score) if I pay the settlement amount vs the full amount on a account that has gone to collection agency?

What is my legal obligation to repay debt to my ex in laws [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently separated, my ex wife negotiated a loan from her father 6 months before before the separation. I told her not to do it (knowing marriage problems and it wasn't fair to her father)but she took the money anyway. I didn't sign any papers or agreements and now two years later,paperwork...

Repay debt [ 2 Answers ]

Is an 80 year old retiree obligated to repay a 20 year old credit card debt?

First Party Collection agencies, False Debt Claim [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am in Ontario Canada. I recently received a letter from a first party debt collection agency telling me that they had purchased my account from a Bank and that they were now the owners of said account. Bottom line on this is that the debt they are claiming is min, is NOT mine. I...

View more questions Search