Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vassosael Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Column forces
    Hi

I need help for finding the following forces

I have a column as shown in the attachment and I have a panel fixed to it in order for the panel to rotate with the column.

I need to calculate the force acting on the column from the panel assuming that the panel is 9Kg

Can you please help me?

I am thinking that it might be really simple and I just need to follow the basic steps but the fact that the panel is connected to the column similar to a bearing confuses me.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
    I assume this is a follow up to your previous question: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/univer...er-717109.html

Need a few more details. First: which way is up - is the column a vertical column or a horizontal beam? Second - we need some dimensions - the diameter or the column, the length of the column, attachment positions of the collar brackets, and the distance from the center of the column to the panel. With that we can determine the static forces and stresses in the column. As I noted to you previously: if you are interested in the dynamic loading as this mechanism rotates, we'll also need to know the rate at which it rotates.

Nov 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I assume this is a follow up to your previous question: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/univer...er-717109.html

Need a few more details. First: which way is up - is the column a vertical column or a horizontal beam? Second - we need some dimensions - the diameter or the column, the length of the column, attachment positions of the collar brackets, and the distance from the center of the column to the panel. With that we can determine the static forces and stresses in the column. As I noted to you previously: if you are interested in the dynamic loading as this mechanism rotates, we'll also need to know the rate at which it rotates.
    Firstly it is a horizontal cylindrical beam. The length of the column it's 1200 mm. the two collar brackets are attached 55 mm from each end. The distance between the center of the column to the panel is 20 mm. the column will be rotate using a motor.

Thank you a lot for your interest and help

Nov 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Can you please help me the soonest possible since I have to hand in a project on Tuesday... thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Since I don't know what type of class you're doing this project for, I will assume that you have some background already in mechanics. You could model the two collars as simple point supports, and determine the load each carries by considering the sum of moments about either support = 0. This will give you the static loads at the two support points. Dynamic loading (due to rotation of the mechanism: F=mw^2R where w= rotational velocity of the mechanism and m = mass of the panels) will cause an additional outward force at each collar - you can assume half this dynamic load is carried by each one. This should give you a good start at finding the loads on the column at the two collars. These loads (and resulting moments) must in turn be resisted by whatver supports the column.

Nov 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Since I don't know what type of class you're doing this project for, I will assume that you have some background already in mechanics. You could model the two collars as simple point supports, and determine the load each carries by considering the sum of moments about either support = 0. This will give you the static loads at the two support points. Dynamic loading (due to rotation of the mechanism: F=mw^2R where w= rotational velocity of the mechanism and m = mass of the panels) will cause an additional outward force at each collar - you can assume half this dynamic load is carried by each one. This should give you a good start at finding the loads on the column at the two collars. These loads (and resulting moments) must in turn be resisted by whatver supports the column.
    I am a mechanical engineering third year. Thank you a lot for the help that was really helpful I guess. I will try and finish it tomorrow. For further help I will post you again.

Thank you again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

While working on an Excel spreadsheet is there a way to bring column A over to column [ 2 Answers ]

On the Excel program is there a way to bring column A over to column X so I can see the Column A while entering into Column X

How to connect new concrete column to old concrete column [ 1 Answers ]

I've got an existing concrete structure which is attached to a wooden house but they both share the same concrete floor. My client wants to convert the wooden house into concrete as well which means I will have to place new columns against existing columns. Can anyone tell me what is the best way...

Forces [ 7 Answers ]

two forces F1 and F2 of magnitudes PN an QN acting in the directions I-2j and 4i+3j respectively. Given that the resultant of F1 and F2 is F, show that P=16 and find Q where F=(48i+14j)N.

Create column with descending numbers corresponding to data in another column. [ 1 Answers ]

I created an alphabetized column with names. In another column I put an x next to those names that were heads of households leaving the rest blank. I would like to create a new column that would recognize the x then insert a number in the cell next to the x in descending order (i.e. 1-50).

View more questions Search