Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moorehair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
    6 year old check
    Some one is trying to get funded on a check that was written 6 years ago/ what is my rights
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
    How do you fit into this? Are you the account holder or the one trying to cash the check?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
    What does your bank say? Where do you reside.

Few banks will honor a check that's that old... 6 months is usually the limit to cash a personal check (but it CAN)... cashiers checks are good for much, much longer.

Section 4-404 of the UCC states as follows:

U.C.C. - § 4-404. BANK NOT OBLIGED TO PAY CHECK MORE THAN SIX MONTHS OLD.
    ... "A bank is under no obligation to a customer having a checking account to pay a check, other than a certified check, which is presented more than six months after its date, but it may charge its customer's account for a payment made thereafter in good faith..."

You could pay for a stop payment.. but that expires... or you could have your bank change your account numbers... and that will have that old and stale check be against a dead and empty account.

Or do both if its for a significant amount.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
    'Trying to get funded' is sweepingly vague. If the party wants to sue the person who paid him, he can try.. he could easily lose, he might win; we'd need to know more.
    No bank will honor a check that old in my opinion.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 09:55 AM
    I may be reading too much between the lines, but if you wrote the check to someone 6 years ago and they failed to try to cash it until now, and now the bank won't honor the check - their recourse is to try to get you to write them a new check. So if your question is whether the statute of limitations has expired on this debt, it may have, but it depends on the specifics of the nature of the debt, whether you've had other dealings or payments with this person or company, and the law of the state you live in. We'll need more details to help provide more specifics.
    Moorehair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How do you fit into this? Are you the account holder or the one trying to cash the check?
    I no longer have that account open been closed long time dureing that time I got sick and filed bankrupt on home etc. I was trying to teach a class but the other party kept check and told me I Needed to send other things in to complete file but I got sick during process and they kept checks tried to cash but eve dentally during that time they where returned back to them. Well, now there trying to collect money from me after 6 years but I did not complete what I was paying for and they don't want to talk about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On my pay check I have made $14000 so far this year but they only took out $80 dolla [ 4 Answers ]

Yes on my pay stub I've made $14000 ytd so but I only paid in $80 dollars in fedrael so far what's happing

Issued check for $3,840 to Insurance Company for a one-year policy on the building [ 3 Answers ]

Issued check for $3,840 to Insurance Company for a one-year policy on the building, effective Jan 01

Stimulus Check for Tax Year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

I am an F1 student working on OPT. I have filed and received my tax returns for tax year 2007. But, still I have not got my stimulus check. Am I eligible to get the rebate check. If Yes, when will get it ? Also I filled form 1040NR. Does this mean I can't get the rebate check ?

Need diagram of a 60 year old inline flood check flapper 10 ft down in lawn [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 65 year old home owner in Chicago. My 60 year old inline flood control check flapper is 10 ft down in front lawn came off its 60 year old hinge. The Check flapper is in a 10 inch verticle 10 ft clay pipe. Are there any diagrams Of these old check flappers.

One year on job & now employer conducting criminal check [ 14 Answers ]

I've been on my job for over a year and now my employer asked me to fill out a criminal background check.. I have a felony from 21 years ago.. I omitted on my application that I ever had a arrest record.. what are my options.. go ahead and quit before I get fired? Will I be able to collect...

View more questions Search