Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BayBrae Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Dumb Teen Tweeting
    So I posted a tweet that stated "Mrs. So&so is such a " only her actual name was in it. It got back to my principal. I am a senior in high school & I am 18. I am super scared that I will get suspended for the rest of the semester or worse exapelled! What are my possible consequences? My principal says I commuted a crime. Defamation of character. But I didn't know it was a crime at all!! What are possible outcomes of this situation?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
    You may lose your right to walk at graduation. You may have to leave your school and finish somewhere else, which is called expulsion. If you participate in a sport, you may be kicked off the team. You may also serve after school detention and/ or Saturday detention if your school has these things. Of course, they may decide to report this to the police, but I doubt they will go that far. How is your record at school in terms of discipline?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
    It really depends on what you called her. If what you said is a lie, and it was made public, then yes, that's defamation of character, and it is against the law.

It really depends on what you wrote, who saw it, and the effect it has on her life. If she applies to college and isn't accepted because of the lies you told, then she could sue you. If she applies for a job and doesn't get it because of what you tweeted, she could sue. In other words, if your tweet has a negative effect on her future, you could find yourself in court.

You could also be in trouble for harassment.

It's really up to the principal and the girl you did this to. We can't tell you what punishment they'll come up with. Next time think before you write, your words can get you into trouble, and it's too late to take it back now.

Nov 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Dumb Teen Tweeting + info
    >merged threads, 11 p.m. CST<

So I posted a tweet that stated "Mrs. So&so is such a " only her actual name was in it. SHE IS A TEACHER. It got back to my principal. I am a senior in high school & I am 18. I am super scared that I will get suspended for the rest of the semester or worse exapelled! What are my possible consequences? My principal says I committed a crime. Defamation of character. But I didn't know it was a crime at all!! What are possible outcomes of this situation?

Nov 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
    DTT fixed!
    >thread merged -- 1:38 a.m. CST<

Asked by BayBrae, Today, 03:50 AM
    So I posted a tweet that stated "Mrs. So&so is such a " only her actual name was in it. SHE IS A TEACHER. It got back to my principal. I am a senior in high school & I am 18. I am super scared that I will get suspended for the rest of the semester or worse exapelled! What are my possible consequences? My principal says I committed a crime. Defamation of character. But I didn't know it was a crime at all!! What are possible outcomes of this situation?

Nov 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
    I called her the b word
    >merged at 11 p.m CST -- has added info<

So I posted a tweet that stated "Mrs. So&so is such a b. I. T. C. H. " only her actual name was in it. SHE IS A TEACHER. It got back to my principal. I am a senior in high school & I am 18. I am super scared that I will get suspended for the rest of the semester or worse exapelled! What are my possible consequences? My principal says I committed a crime. Defamation of character. But I didn't know it was a crime at all!! What are possible outcomes of this situation?

Nov 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    You may lose your right to walk at graduation. You may have to leave your school and finish somewhere else, which is called expulsion. If you participate in a sport, you may be kicked off the team. You may also serve after school detention and/ or Saturday detention if your school has these things. Of course, they may decide to report this to the police, but I doubt they will go that far. How is your record at school in terms of discipline?
    I'm captain of the dance team & my record isn't bad. I'm known for my excessive tardies and absences though .

Nov 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    It really depends on what you called her. If what you said is a lie, and it was made public, then yes, that's defamation of character, and it is against the law.

It really depends on what you wrote, who saw it, and the effect it has on her life. If she applies to college and isn't accepted because of the lies you told, then she could sue you. If she applies for a job and doesn't get it because of what you tweeted, she could sue. In other words, if your tweet has a negative effect on her future, you could find yourself in court.

You could also be in trouble for harassment.

It's really up to the principal and the girl you did this to. We can't tell you what punishment they'll come up with. Next time think before you write, your words can get you into trouble, and it's too late to take it back now.
    I called her a b I t c h
    Pets Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BayBrae View Post
    I called her a b I t c h
    Well, that's not a nice thing to call someone. This would most likely fall under the category of bullying, maybe even cyber bullying. Is there a policy in place for bullying at your school?

Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
    Yeah I know... She's a teacher though. So I'm not for sure if the bullying policy applies to her.
    But yes! We have a bully policy!
    Pets Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Yeah I know... She's a teacher though. So I'm not for sure if the bullying policy applies to her.
    But yes! We have a bully policy!
    You didn't mention that this is a teacher you tweeted about. Since that's the case you could be in for a lot more trouble than I originally thought.

This is an adult, she works in the school you go to. Your tweet very well could affect a career she worked for. If that's the case than she could have a case against you.

Did you apologize for what you said?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
    I'm captain of the dance team & my record isn't bad. I'm known for my excessive tardies and absences though .
    I've seen the captain of the basketball team expelled for threatening a teacher. He was 18 and it was a crime. You need to apologize, have a meeting with the principal and the teacher, along with having your parents involved. Anything I mentioned is a real possibility. Bullying is not tolerated in any school these days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
    Does not matter if you did not know it was a crime. The teacher can call the police and ask to press charges.

Yes the school can suspend or perhaps expel you depending on their rules.

Your parents need to be with you and arrange a meeting with the principal and teacher.

The school may be OK if your parents do enough punishment at home.

Not knowing it was illegal is not an excuse or defense in court. At 18 the truth is, you should know better by now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
    Does not matter if you did not know it was a crime. The teacher can call the police and ask to press charges.

Yes the school can suspend or perhaps expel you depending on their rules.

Your parents need to be with you and arrange a meeting with the principal and teacher.

The school may be OK if your parents do enough punishment at home.

Not knowing it was illegal is not an excuse or defense in court. At 18 the truth is, you should know better by now.
    Pets Expert

Nov 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
    So I guess you didn't like the answers you got on the first thread about this same issue?

Asking your question again won't chance the responses. The facts are the facts, and they won't change no matter how many times you ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Dumb of What? [ 5 Answers ]

Just learned that it make a difference which way you put the stopper in a sink pop up assembly. Had to replace sink drain in wife's bath sink. She let some kind of cleaner sit in the sink and ruined the brass finish on the drain flange. New pop up wouldn't open as much as the old one. After...

Is he gay am I being dumb? [ 22 Answers ]

My BF claims not to be bi or gay, but has a friend who is. This gay friend gives my BF money, drugs, takes him for expensive dinners... my boyfriend recently admitted to me that he felt obligated and allowed this guy to suck his , but claims he couldn't get hard, he also says he has tried to get...

This may seem dumb, but. [ 13 Answers ]

I really feel kind of stupid posting a question like this, but here goes... you don't know me, so who cares right? Lol Well, I've always enjoyed drawing- but I've been doing a lot since I started doing phone work a few years ago. Started just doodling, then got more and more complex- it's...

I'm dumb... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?

Dumb about men [ 1 Answers ]

What do you think of a first date with a man and both like the date & each other a lot. He calls right away about liked date & wants to go out again. He calls, again but never gets around to when 2nd date? Talks about where to go etc. Confused. Still likes me, etc. Should I give up or what? Should...

View more questions Search