Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derek2561 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
    How do I drywall over an existing attic hatch
    Hey there,
    I'm trying to make our home more energy efficient. There is an attic hatch roughly 23 x 29 that is not used as we have a second one. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Should I cut back the existing drywall to expose half of the rough ins and screw in my new drywall into this? Or should I screw in new rough ins around the existing ones on all four sides and screw in the dry wall to these?

Thanks,
    Derek
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
    I'd leave it as is, and make an insulation blanket to put above it, using a large trash bag and some fiberglass. That's what I did for my folding attic staircase, except I used a cheap tarp for a much bigger blanket.
    You never know when you might find that hatch handier than the other one.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Just sister 2x4 to the existing ones and add one in the middle. Then drywall over the hole and finish. Make sure to insulate the fill on piece.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
    Joypulz,s way is the easiest and will give you excess if you want it in the future.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I put light in attic now I want to connect it to an existing light switch? [ 6 Answers ]

I have put a 5 foot light in my attic.I have connect 3 core flex(brown /blue/earth) to light and have a plug top on other end.So basically if I need to turn it on I just plug it into a socket in the landing.But I want to connect it to an existing single pole light switch and lose the plug top.how...

Carrying Drywall Two builders carry a sheet of drywall up a ramp. [ 0 Answers ]

Carrying Drywall Two builders carry a sheet of drywall up a ramp. Assume that W = 2.00 m, L = 3.20 m, θ = 25.0°, and that the lead builder carries a (vertical) weight of 155.0 N (34.8 lb). What is the (vertical) weight carried by the builder at the rear? (in N) The builder at the rear...

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Installing a toilet, sink and tub in attic using existing stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a toilet, sink and tub into my attic space that I am finishing. My question is: how can I tie into the existing 4" stack without affecting the fixtures below. Presently the stack acts as a vent for the lower story fixtures. Will I need to re-vent the lower fixtures in...

View more questions Search