Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack tozzi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
    Where do we locate a arc fault breaker in a residential home?
    The residential code for arc fault breakers ?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Section 210.12 of the 2008 edition of the National Electric Code. Your area may use the 2011 edition.

Can be reviewed at:

NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ

Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Arc fault breakers
    After running 14\3 romex wire arc fault breaker will not stay on please help

Nov 15, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Arcfault breakers
    Why can't I install a gfic outlet on load side to replace arc fault breakers
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
    First, they are different devices and protect against different conditions...
    If you want to remain code compliant you cannot replace one with the other.
    Why would you want to do this?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Tell us more...
    Is this circuit inside your house? What is connected to it? Does this circuit
    Feed a receptacle? Describe the situation better...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Please only open one thread at a time.

How old is the residence that this circuit is in? Why are you installing an Arc Fault breaker in the first place? Did you just install a new circuit or panelboard.

An Arc Fault trips when it sees the signiture of an arc. Its purpose is to prevent fires so two conclusions are possible from the little you describe. There is in fact an arcing condition being dected. The breaker is bad.

Give us more to go one and maybe we can help you out.

Nov 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Okay, not the to be a smart a$$ but breakers are installed in panelboards. Was that a trick question? :)

Nov 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    First, they are different devices and protect against different conditions...
    If you want to remain code compliant you cannot replace one with the other.
    Why would you want to do this?
    After running 14\3 romex wire the arc fault needs its own neutral to each circuit how can I correct this after sheetrock

Nov 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    Tell us more...
    Is this circuit inside your house? What is connected to it? Does this circuit
    feed a receptacle? Describe the situation better...
    This 14\3 circuits are ran to a wall outlet and then split one going to overhead cans and other to closet and wall outlets in master room keep in mind the can light circuit also hits a few wall outlets that need to be arc fault stupid please help thanks

Nov 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Where is the required location for a arc fault breaker in a residential home
    After running 14-3 romex wire to an outlet and splitting one to overhead can lighting and the other to master bedroom outlets. Keep in mind, that can lighting circuit also hits two wall outlets also. They also need to be arc fault stupid. Please Help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
    >Numerous Threads Merged<

Nov 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Curly,

I just noticed that this post was originally opened in 2007. Jack, would you please consider opening a new post for your questions.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ark Fault Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I installed 3 pendant lights (NEW) with 75W electronic transformer in each, connected to an ark fault breaker AFCI circuit will function properly till I increase the dimmer output to max output for the pendant lights, @ this point about 5-8 seconds the ark fault breaker will trip, this will happen...

Arc fault breaker code? [ 3 Answers ]

Do I need arc fault breakers for my kitchen counter outlets fed from a GFI and do I need arc fault breakers for a GFI in my bath and powder room if they are stand alone outlets??

Lutron Home Works and Arc-Fault breaker [ 3 Answers ]

By new code all bedrooms lights need to be on Arc-fault breaker. Did anybody try did that thing (Lutron homeworks modules on arc- fault breaker) because, I'm curious if breaker is not tripping.

Arc fault breaker [ 9 Answers ]

As some of you might remember, I have knob and tube in my house. I just had a new panel installed, but the knob and tube remains. I am in the process to change that over, but in the meantime, would an AFCI breaker protect from arcs that might happen in the wall cavity? My wife heard a story of a...

How to locate bad breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bad breaker on one of central ac units. However there are no labels on the panel to identify which breaker goes to what. How do I tell which breaker goes to the ac unit that has no power. I installed a new switch in the attic and measured the amps on the wires coming from the breaker...

View more questions Search