Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vketki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 01:44 PM
    India-US tax treaty
    Hi,

I entered the US on an F-1 in July 2006, and was resident in India prior to that. Previously, I had visited briefly in Feb 2006 on a B-1/B-2 visa. While using the Cintax software to calculate my returns for 2006, it does not deduct the standard deduction for 2006 ($5,150) for me, though it does allow me the personal exemption of $3,300 on the 1040NR-EZ form. Is there a reason for this?

Am I eligible for the standard deduction allowed under Art 21(2) of the US-India tax treaty? Or does my previous visit on the B-1/B-2 affect the application of this treaty to my tax-return in any way?

Is this treaty valid for more than 2 years? I will be in the US as a student for 5 years. If I obtain the standard deduction under this treaty for the first 2 years, will I have to pay it back retroactively in the third year?

I will really appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks
    Ketki
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
    You have to add the standard deduction into the form manually. SOftware does not think; you have to do that.

Yes, you ARE eligible for the $5,150 standard deduction.

You file as a non-resident alien for FIVE years. Starting in the sixth year, you become a resident alien and pay taxes like a U.S. citizen.
    vketki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Thank you very much Atlanta Tax Expert, I really appreciate your help.

When I file as a non-resident for 5 years, does it mean that I can apply the treaty to my returns for five years, and not have to pay back the standard deduction retroactively if I stay a 6th year?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 09:55 AM
    There is NO retroactive repayment of the standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

Forms for returning US-India Tax treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I came to US in 2004 December as a researcher and signed for US-India tax exemption treaty, and have taken the full benefit for 2004 and 2005. However, I overstayed and now would like to return the benefit taken. Please let me know which form should I use to pay back the tax benefit.

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

View more questions Search