Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silverado79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 08:49 PM
    1979 350 chevy pu
    Hello, here's the situation - The battery cranks over well, the starter is turning, and right when the engine normally fires (2-3 seconds) there is a grinding sound like gears, so I shut it off - what can I do?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
    GM starters are notorious for a poor starter design that must be spaced with shims. Typically sounds like a metal clashing sound. It could be other items but id check the starter mesh._
    silverado79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Thank you, I'll pull the starter and take a look-
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Does the noise occure while you're cranking the engine?
    Or does the engine actually start up and then you hear the 'grinding?'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1979 chevy pickup won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I have 1979 chevy pickup that just won't start I replaced the clutch drove it a couple of days and I just won't start I have plenty of spark and gas getting to the plugs I have replaced everything in the distrubetor I just can't figure it out please help Thank you:confused:

How much did a chevy malibu cost in 1979? [ 12 Answers ]

How much a chevy malabu cost in 1979. With no down payment what would the monthly payment been.

1979 chevy wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Where does the small wire on the starter go to?

1979 chevy pickup will not start [ 5 Answers ]

My 1979 chevy pickup will not start I have replaced the starter the flywheel and have put in a new battery and still nothing. Everything shows it has power but I turn the ignition and it acts like the battery is dead and sometimes it has no fire at all I don't know what could be the problem please...

1979 chevy love [ 1 Answers ]

My husband just bought a 1979 chevy love, he drove it home and it lost all power 2 times and now it won't work at all. He has had the alt, voltage reg and the battery checked. We really need this truck to work!! Anyone have any ideas?:( :confused: please help!!

View more questions Search