Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djgizmo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 07:26 AM
    93 Civic - Battery Light issue
    My battery light came on (while the car was running) today for the 1st time in over 5 years with my civic. Even with a dead battery, the light never came on while running. If rev the engine to 3000-3500 rpms, the light starts to fade, so I suspect that the alternator is about to go (very soon). Now, this car has about 200k miles on it, but I suspect that the alternator was changed out once around 120k miles, but it may still be the factory alternator.

Now, since it just happened today, it seems I can still start my car (suspect that its purely running off the battery)

Any other ideas for troubleshooting?

Thank you

Sean
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Check the drive belt. Usually they are the serpentine belts with the spring tensioner, and stay tight until they break, but it won't hurt to look at it, unless you get your hand in it. Also check your connections, both the heavy black wire running from the alternator and both battery cables. Remove the negative cable from the battery before touching the hot ones. Otherwise, one slip of the wrench makes a big, bad short circuit.

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at the battery with the motor a little above idle. If you have about 14 volts, the alternator is working. Problems in the light circuit could cause over charging destroying the battery, alternator, or both.

Jan 15, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Yea, I suspected the belt possibly... haven't changed that in the last 5 years.

Ok, I'll break out my multi meter at lunch and test my battery, both while off and while running.

Also, when you say "Also check your connections, both the heavy black wire running from the alternator and both battery cables. " Do you mean verify that they are connected and with no corrosion?

Thanks for the quick repy.
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Yes, dirty or loose connections including the ground to the engine or body can cause problems.

Jan 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
    Ok, verified that the issue is with the alternator / connection to the alternator. I used my multimeter with my car off @ the battery terminals... 12.45 Volts. Normal... Then started the car... and it DROPPED to 12.1 volts. So, from what my intuition tells me, that maybe fuseable link might be broken, or another cable.

Problem is, to be able to test those, I need to lift the front end of the car to get to the alternator. Any one have any suggestions?
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2005, 04:58 PM
    A lot of guys like the Rhino Ramps. I have wooden ones I made. They are much safer than jacks, and less bother than using the jack to put jack stands under the car.

Jan 16, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Yea, unfortunately I live in an apartment complex and won't allow me to work on my car etc etc. I could probably get away with a tune up but not lifting the car up.

A friends is giving me an alternator to try. Is there any known chains that can test (bair) alternators? I'd like to make sure it works before I attempt to have someone swapp it out for me.
    sasquatch_tattoo Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2005, 04:14 PM
    Battery drain
    If your battery tested at 12.45 volts with the motor off then dropped to 12.1 volts after turning the car on, it sounds like your alternator needs a rebuild or replacement. Try this next time, test the battery with the car off, note the voltage, then turn the car on, along with the heater on high, and your lights on, the voltage should be at least 13 volts or more. It sounds like when your battery is put under load, your alternator is unable to supply the necessary voltage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My civic 95 manual has dead battery? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My car won't start starter doesn't run (dosent emit sound) but no batt light & how do I wire my other batt (an new one from a previous car) to boost it ? If that is the prob all lights are normal every thing is fine except that when I drive it (push started) some gauges freak out a litle &...

Honda civic ex 96 battery [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me where can I get a good and cheap battery for my honda civic Thanks

94 civic battery will not come on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 94 Honda Civic. The car will not start. I have realized that it is not getting any spark. I also noticed that the battey light on the dashboard will not light up with the key in the "ON" position. The check engine light is on as it should be. Also a fuse keeps blowing in an unlabeled...

How long will my battery give me light? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a garage in a building, along with about 30 other people. We have all had electricity in our garages, but we didn't have to pay for it - people who lived in that building paid for it. However, about a few months back our electricity was cut out from our garages, because someone supposedly...

91 civic battery question [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, my civic's battery dies all the time. They battery is bran new, and the proble is that when I am driving it, it won't re-charge. Any idea what is wrong with it and how much it will cost to get fixed. One thing is should add- this happened before and then I took it to auto zone and they...

View more questions Search