Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
    DOA, Dead, can't be revived, gone but not forgotten. It's really dead.
    Well, the fridge died, the dryer died, the stove died, the dishwasher died, the car died, it was inevitable that the computer would die, and it did.

Our computer is officially dead. Thanks to Sneezy (a former member of this site) we have a laptop he gifted to my daughter, but it's very slow. Beggars can't be choosers. ;)

I'm on, but it's very slow, very frustrating, and I don't know if I'll be around much. The only option right now is to get our old computer fixed, and that fix won't be cheap, so we're thinking about a new computer, that we can't afford. Honestly, we can't afford the fix or the new computer, so both are out of reach.

Long story short, computer died, we have a back up that is slow, we're going to rob a bank to buy a new computer (kidding!) and until then, I may not be around much.

I know a few of you will breathe a sigh of relief, but for those that actually like having me around, I'm sorry. I'll do my best to suck it up, but I doubt I'll be posting as much as I was until the new computer arrives in 2020. ;)

I'll be here as much as I can tolerate, but that's all I can promise.

Right now I'm just crossing my fingers that the washer (which hubby said was on its last legs) holds out for a while longer. If one more thing breaks in this house I may just set the whole place on fire (Kidding again! Really! But the thought is intriguing).

Anyway, that's my little update. When it rains it snows. Ya, I said snow. Did I forget to mention the 20 feet of snow? Okay, it wasn't 20 feet, but it may as well have been.

I'm in hell. Wait... no... hell is warmer.

Sigh.

Alty in and out, and not at all happy. Winning lottery numbers would be a good thing right now. Just saying. :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
    Sorry to hear about all these problems that you're having.

I don't know if you can swing it or not but I do know that Dell offers financing and the terms aren't really all that bad. Just a thought.

Take care.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
    Have you been able to replace the appliances? Do you know a good repairman for things that go bad, or can R usually duct-tape things together for a bit longer?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 01:02 AM
    I think everything has really been repaired/replaced except for the computer. It's just that Alty has had a run of bad luck with electrical equipment lately.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Why don't you explain what your computer is doing and maybe we can help you fix it? Usually its not a big deal and most fixes can be cheap so long as you didn't fry the motherboard.
    Pets Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
    @ Odinn, the last computer we had was a Dell that we financed, so we may do that again, we just have to see if we can afford it.

@ WG, R is very good at fixing things. We got a fridge off Kijiji (free). We bought a new stove and it broke 4 months after we got it, so we got a stove off Kijiji (also free), a dryer off Kijiji (also free, but it sucked so we bought a new one), and we got a new dishwasher. R's truck is now fixed, but he needs a new vehicle (not new new, but new to us), and now the computer. Frankly, there's not enough duct tape in the world to fix all our problems. ;)

@J9, this is were appliances come to die.

@CDad, it's the power supply. It can be fixed, we just need to buy a new power supply, and so far it's not a cheap fix, at least it's not in our budget. Either way we will fix the old computer, but I think we're still going to look into getting a new one.

Does anyone else find it odd that every year right before Christmas a major household appliance dies in my house? I'm beginning to think that we're cursed.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    @ Odinn, the last computer we had was a Dell that we financed, so we may do that again, we just have to see if we can afford it.

@ WG, R is very good at fixing things. We got a fridge off Kijiji (free). We bought a new stove and it broke 4 months after we got it, so we got a stove off Kijiji (also free), a dryer off Kijiji (also free, but it sucked so we bought a new one), and we got a new dishwasher. R's truck is now fixed, but he needs a new vehicle (not new new, but new to us), and now the computer. Frankly, there's not enough duct tape in the world to fix all our problems. ;)

@J9, this is were appliances come to die.

@CDad, it's the power supply. It can be fixed, we just need to buy a new power supply, and so far it's not a cheap fix, at least it's not in our budget. Either way we will fix the old computer, but I think we're still going to look into getting a new one.

Does anyone else find it odd that every year right before Christmas a major household appliance dies in my house? I'm beginning to think that we're cursed.
    You might be cursed. Have you checked for that? Seriously Im not sure if your power company has a plan like they do here. But they can install a line filter outside your home and it evens out your electricity and prevents spikes. It could be you actually do have a problem and don't know it.
    Pets Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    You might be cursed. Have you checked for that? Seriously Im not sure if your power company has a plan like they do here. But they can install a line filter outside your home and it evens out your electricity and prevents spikes. It could be you actually do have a problem and dont know it.
    Well that would just be the icing on the cake.

Truth told, the appliances died because they were old. The first stove we bought that lasted for 4 months, it ran fine, something fell on the ceramic top and busted it. The top was more expensive to replace than the entire stove. We couldn't cook with it, it was a fire hazard.

The computer, it was 7 years old. It's time to get a new one.

But I will check to see if someone has put a hex on me. It would make sense. ;)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Well that would just be the icing on the cake.

Truth told, the appliances died because they were old. The first stove we bought that lasted for 4 months, it ran fine, something fell on the ceramic top and busted it. The top was more expensive to replace than the entire stove. We couldn't cook with it, it was a fire hazard.

The computer, it was 7 years old. It's time to get a new one.

But I will check to see if someone has put a hex on me. It would make sense. ;)
    I'm sorry to hear about all those appliances :(. My Dad used to say we were in a bad moon when this stuff happened. So, I hope you get a better moon!
    Entomology Expert

Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Actually, PSU's aren't really all that expensive. Yes, they do make pricey ones but some, for basic computers, are actually fairly cheap. Just be sure that you get one that will be compatible with your system.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Supplies, psu

Search Results for psu power supply at TigerDirect.ca
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 15, 2012, 02:42 AM
    I've bought my last two notebook computers on eBay, slightly used. One was for my dad and my sister now has it. Both are still fine after years. I think I paid $500. I could have found a very good one for less. No bells and whistles. Except a mouse. I hate the little pad in the front of the keys.
    I bought my cooktop on eBay too. My oven on craigslist. My fridge and washer at Home Depot. I don't use dryers because they use too much elec.
    Still waiting for a good scratch and dent dishwasher.
    I wait for bargains on just about everything.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I've bought my last two notebook computers on ebay, slightly used. One was for my dad and my sister now has it. Both are still fine after years. I think I paid $500. I could have found a very good one for less. No bells and whistles. Except a mouse. I hate the little pad in the front of the keys.
    I bought my cooktop on ebay too. My oven on craigslist. My fridge and washer at Home Depot. I don't use dryers because they use too much elec.
    Still waiting for a good scratch and dent dishwasher.
    I wait for bargains on just about everything.
    Sears used to have a scratch and dent store. I filled a house that way. Same guarantee and everything.
    Pets Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
    A dryer really wasn't an option. I hate using the energy too, but when you live in a country that's below freezing for 8 months of the year, drying your clothes outside really isn't an option. ;)
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Okay, apparently I overreacted. The computer is fixed. R got a new power supply, spent all day today and all day yesterday fixing the puter (he was having issues) and it's not up and running again.

We're still looking into a new one so that Jared can have this one for school, but for now I got my Fred back! :)
    Entomology Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
    See that? You can get fairly cheap PSUs as long as you're not a hardcore gamer... lol
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    See that? You can get fairly cheap PSUs as long as you're not a hardcore gamer....lol
    R made it sound like it would cost more than a computer. Knowing nothing about computer myself, at least now what makes them tick, I figured he'd know. Turns out we got a good one for less than $50, so it's all good.

Fred is now running better than ever.

Crap, I shouldn't say that. Knock on wood! Knock on wood! ;)

As for games, does solitaire count?
    Entomology Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Oh yes... Solitaire is a hardcore game... very taxing on the system...

(dammit! Where is the rolly eyes smiley?)
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Oh yes....Solitaire is a hardcore game....very taxing on the system....

(dammit! Where is the rolly eyes smiley?)
    You dare to roll your eyes at me?

Crap! I shouldn't have read Fifty Shades of Grey/stupid (for so many reasons). Now every time someone rolls their eyes at me I want to beat them with a belt. :)

Hell, every time someone tells me how much they love the books, I want to beat them with a belt. ;)
    Entomology Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
    I want to beat myself with a belt just for reading that post...
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
    I want to beat myself with a belt just for reading that post....
    LOL!

To be fair, I only read them because hubby bought them for me for my birthday. He bought them because there was so much hype about them. I read the back of one book, rolled my eyes and thought "you've don't worse things then read crap like this. You can do it, it's only 3 books".

So I read all three books, and by the end of that weekend I wanted to cry.

I still don't understand what people see in this series. So it's about BDSM. It's not even realistic. What woman has an orgasm on command? If that's something that can be done then somebody teach me! ;)

If you cut out all the stupid sex scenes the book would be 100 pages long, and no one would read it at all because the storyline is ridiculous.

Biggest waste of a weekend ever. I'd rather read the entire bible while being flogged and set on fire, than read Fifty Shades again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

My car is dead. [ 6 Answers ]

While driving home from work last night, my headlights dimmed and the volts light came on. Then as I went up hill, the lights brightened back up and the indicator light went out. A few miles down the road it did it again, but this time got so dim that I could barely see the road. So I pulled over...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

View more questions Search