Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarkaii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
    How do I make my parents understand that I don
    I've been LDS all my life and I am 17 now and have been questioning and disbelieving for quite some time. About a month ago my parents found out that I don't want to go to church but they still treat me like I want to and that I love it. They also force me to go to everything and I just don't have the time or patience anymore. I respect and love them but I just don't think they understand that I don't want to go.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Just suck it up and go... when you are an adult and move out and support yourself you can do whatever you want to do... you are 17... its not that much longer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 02:12 AM
    As long as you live in mom and dad's home, you do it, sorry at 17 you have no choice, you don't have to believe but you have to go where they say, when they say
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
    It would be nice if all parents had respect for each child's beliefs and opinions, while still expecting that the rules of the home be obeyed, but it isn't always easy to know where to draw the lines. Just know that your beliefs really are your own, even if you have to pretend to go along with your parents', and even if you have to keep a lid on yours somewhat.

Even when you are 'free' at 18, life isn't suddenly a place of total freedom. Employers, governments, spouses, all sorts of forces will be testing you and telling you what to do, and it's a lifelong juggling act of:
    Accept
    Compromise
    Fight
    Do nothing
    Leave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I make them understand? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm in my first year at university in England (actually my last exam was the 25th of may so I guess my year is finished) and I live in halls. I've become close friends with several people but recently I'm starting to lose my patience. I'm a night owl, someone who lives nocturnally, I sleep from...

How to make my boyfriend marry me.. how to make my bfrns parents acept me [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriends parents are against our relation as I am 2 yrs older to him and *** from a different community. They won't evn meet me. Our 3 yr relation is at the verge of break up as his parents won't acept me as their daughtr in law and as my boyfriend is not able to convince his parents and last...

My parents don't understand my feelings [ 4 Answers ]

I want to set up a new business but I am just 18 and my parents don't understand my feelings... also I was ditched in love 4 times very badly... I was so depressed and I started thinking of dying but I know itz nt ri8... etc... but hw do I make ma parents understand me and let them know that...

I don't understand how my parents could do that [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... im 17 and along time ago I was sexauly abused by a family member who we no longer speak to but recently my parents have become close to his family. Im just really conffussed and sad because he never got in trouble and my parents new and they did nothing... I forgot about what happened but...

Parents don't understand! [ 5 Answers ]

Ever since I had a boyfriend my parents make it hard on me.They think that all my attention goes on him and not my school work.Now he's my fionce and my parents think that we are getting married so I can move in with him.Well it's not true.I love him and he loves me.We have been friends since...

View more questions Search