Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Nov 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
    How to take kitchen cabinet apart?
    Hi -- I'm removing a bottom kitchen cabinet in order to install a dishwasher.

I CAN'T get the cabinet out. (It has seams between each cabinet that run from under the countertop through to the floor, so it should be modular.)

I removed the doors and shelves, and every screw that is apparent. (Screws connecting cabinets side to side, screws that connect to the counter) The cabinet has not budged.

Does anyone have any ideas? There are literally no other screws. (Am I looking at glue?)

I'd take a sledge to it and smash like Hulk if I did not want to preserve A) the adjacent cabinets, and B) the support for counter and the adjacent cabinets.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Look under hinge plates, in upper inside corner for screws to countertop and remove the toe kick finish board to see if there are screws to a floor cleat.

Nov 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
    Nothing under the hinge plates (took them off) and nothing under the counter in the upper corners.

I have yet to take the toe kick off (was kind of hoping to preserve it until I had more leverage with the cabinet frame out).

Thanks for responding -- I'll see tomorrow about that toe kick.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
    The toe kick cover is usually just held on with small brads. Remove the shoe molding and it should come off fairly easily. Some installers will screw through a toe kick when the wall isn't quite square and the cabinet moves a bit. Other than that I'm at a loss. We go through the hinge plate covers, top and back rail but have done one or two through the toe kick.

Nov 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Not sure what the top and back rail are.

The back wall inside the cabinet is a false wall that has no screws in it.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
    The normal installation is as follows:

1. Cabinet is nailed /screwed to wall at top rail. This is located at top of cabinet and is usually a 1x2.

2. Screws are installed into cabinet rails to aline and secure front of cabinet. These screws can be located under hinges or a hinge screw has been replaced with longer screw.

3. Cabinet is screwed to counter top at 4 corners inside cabinet to secure cabinet to top. These screws usually go through a plastic or wood triangle.

Were the cabinets installed before floor? If this is so then cabinet will not come out because base of cabinet is below floor line.

Chuck

Nov 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
    There is a back panel to the interior of the cabinet that is clearly made of some thin paperboard. I suspect that the cabinet is attached behind that. Correct assumption?
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
    There is a back panel to the interior of the cabinet that is clearly made of some thin paperboard. I suspect that the cabinet is attached behind that. Correct assumption?
    Could be, although I have not seen an inner liner. Can you see any screws along the top back? If not, I would try to remove the panel. This isn't rocket science but it is acting as such!

Nov 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
    There are no screws.

I would just bash that back board out, but I'm afraid that it's not a single panel, but rather part of a single backer for the entire bank of cabinets.

Damn space-aged cabinetry.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
    That's pretty rare, cabinets are just wooden boxes screwed together.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Brian is right.

If the fronts of the cabinets are screwed together then they would be box design. If made as one unit then cabinet front would have no vertical seams.

Chuck

Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Epilogue: There were two looong screws inside the cabinet -- upper rear, hidden by a piece of fascia pressboard. And lots of liquid nail holding everything together. These screws were obviously put in BEFORE the counter, as they were angled in from above -- nearly impossible to remove from BELOW. I ended up chiseling out around the heads, and using a Visegrip to turn it little at a time -- took nearly an hour.

The framing boards on the front of the cabinet were held together by screws I'd never seen: set into a channel longwise, with square notches in the heads. Had to smash the boards out since these screws were impossible to unscrew at the angle.
    BUT, it's done. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
    Square head screws are becoming quite common. They don't strip out as easy. I use them sometimes with a KREG jig. Glad you got it done.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
    There are screw driver bit sets that have the square head bits and star bits in it.

Thank you for the up date.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Cabinet Skins [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing installation of our new Shenandoah kitchen cabinets, and am mildly impressed with the quality and workmanship of these mid-priced big-box-store cabinets. I have a question, though, regarding the cabinet "skins" that were provided for each exposed cabinet end surface. There are skins...

Corner Kitchen Cabinet [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning a small kitchenette for my basement and would like to install a standard kitchen cabinet (18"W x 24"D x 34.4"H) in the corner. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any suggestions on how best to pull this off? I know that I will end up with a decent amount of "dead" space (I...

Bugs my kitchen cabinet [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Please can someone help. We have discovered very small kind of insects in one of the kitchen cabinets. They are really small, about a few CMs, they don't seem to fly, just move around. I can't describe them as they are not detailed with the naked eye, will try using a magnifer. I have...

Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing [ 3 Answers ]

I am weighing my options between paying to have our cabinets refaced, or attempting to sand and refinish them myself. We have good wooden cabinets but they have been painted and the previous owner "framed" each of them by nailing in other wood trim, and they are painted green. Was looking on...

Kitchen sink cabinet [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen cabinets. I am cutting out the sink cabinet to allow the plumbing for the dish washer and inlet/ outlet of the drain. As I know that the cabinet is a standard 24" depth. Now does the cabinet bolt flush against the wall or do I allow a gap. I do not remember how the...

View more questions Search