Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingers6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
    Where is the flame sensor on a Lennox furnace g12rd2e-82 and how do I clean it?
    The pilot light on my furnace has intermittantly been going out. Now the pilot is lit, but the furnace won't ignite. I believe I had this problem before and it was a dirty flame sensor. I don't remember how to clean it. My model is an old one, Lennox G12RD2E-82.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
    The pilot light on my furnace has intermittantly been going out. Now the pilot is lit, but the furnace won't ignite. I believe I had this problem before and it was a dirty flame sensor. I don't remember how to clean it. My model is an old one, Lennox G12RD2E-82.

Do a good job BUT easy does it especially if the flame sensor is attached to the ignitor unit.
    Attached Images

gingers6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Thank you for your response. I attached a photo of my furnace. I believe the sensor is attached to the wire on the right. I don't know how to access it to clean it properly. I tried to reach in and clean it where it is, but that's not really working. Is there a bolt to be loosened to remove it?
    Flickr: gingers6+'s Photostream

Nov 21, 2012, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gingers6 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I attached a photo of my furnace. I believe the sensor is attached to the wire on the right. I don't know how to access it to clean it properly. I tried to reach in and clean it where it is, but that's not really working. Is there a bolt to be loosened to remove it?
    Flickr: gingers6+'s Photostream
    From what I see it does not look like you have a modern style ignition system. It looks like you have a thermocouple system which is quite simple.

First you have to make sure you have a strong pilot and the thermocouple is in the flame. That causes it to generate miliviltage to operate the safety on the gas valve. If the flame is weak the gas safety will iot activate and the valve will not open to allow the furnace to burn. If you can post a pic of the gas valve that is on your furnace. The more pics the better of this system so I can really see what you have.

Nov 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Here is a copy of the manual but it is for different BTU unit which is OK. The manual shows it could be one of 4 different gas valves so pics are a must.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf L0403509.pdf (315.1 KB, 708 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace - error code 34 - trying to find flame sensor to clean it... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Possibly a stupid question, but where exactly is the flame sensor on this furnace? Model: 340AAV036060AASA Thanks so much!

On a 1990's vintage Lennox gas heater, how do I clean the flame sensor? The furnace [ 0 Answers ]

Operates intermittently, it starts up, heats for several minutes, then shuts off. Doesn't seem to be reaching full temperature either.

Blower run all time on Lennox G12RD2E-55 fruance? [ 0 Answers ]

Tech was out and took replaced filters and cleaned fruance also set the settings down to 105 it was set to 180. The original problem was the blower runs all the time will shut off for a second then the heat kicks in starting the process all over again. Blower ran non stop last night and still...

Flame sensor location to clean [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find the flame sensor on my York furnace to clean it. We had to do this last year also. I can not remember where it is!!

Clean tempstar flame sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Tempstar model # nugk100dh08 furnace. I am trying to clean off the end of the flame sensor. Do I need to take the ignitor/sensor unit off? If so, I see that it has 2 screws on top of the unit. Do I just remove those and it drops down so I can clean? The problem I was having was the flame...

View more questions Search