Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    051110rr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Income tax return on Sale of Real Estate in Trust
    House left to myself and 2 brothers. House was in trust (if that matters). House just sold at a loss. I am the executrix. I do know that I need to file a tax return on the estate. My question though is the money received from the sale is being split 3 ways. Do each of us need to add what we receive from the sale of that property to our salary on our personal income tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
    No.

If the estate/trust sold the house, then the proceeds is an inheritance.

There is no FEDERAL inheritance tax, though some states do have an inheritance tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Land Trust be used to buy real estate in Pa [ 1 Answers ]

What is involved in setting up a land trust to buy residentail real estate. I heard there was some restriction on who can be the trustee?

Never trust a guy that says his a real estate manager! [ 2 Answers ]

I was talking to this guy in tagged, he seemed so nice and we started chatting, then I told him that I was looking for a rental place in the northern suburbs, then he told me that he was a real state manager at the fremantle real estate, so then he said he will help me find a rental place, but he...

Real Estate in Trust [ 1 Answers ]

My father has set up a revocable trust for my sister and I, we are in our 50's. All parties live in New Mexico. The trust includes real estate contracts payable to my father, as well as land, and a couple of rental properties. My father says that my sister and I will inherit the property through...

What taxes I will owe on real estate sale [ 2 Answers ]

I have a confusing problem. My family has recently sold property that was left to us. The property was only titled to an aunt, and one cousin. Everyone , even the aunt and cousin knew that the division of property was a 25% split, and then further divided into smaller %. Two families got 25%, ...

Real estate foreclosure sale [ 2 Answers ]

A home in my neighborhood has been vacant since January 2007, the owner had died. There are no known relatives. The lawn has been taken care of by the neighbors to keep the area looking nice. The house is still fully furnished car in garage and all. No one has been in the house except the...

View more questions Search