Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadinan7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
    Dachshund biting
    Me and my husband just got our nephews male dachshund who is around 5 years old. We have was my nephews dog for this whole time since a puppy and never did this there. We also have 2 sweet beagles who are not this way at all and has not challenged him in any way so I don't know what to do or why he is doing this. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I do not want to put the dog down, but not sure if I can find him a home if my nephews dad won't take him back. I have 5 teenagers and their friends are in and out of the house all the time, so not good to have a dog that snaps and bites. He is not fixed and just found out tonight he had a rabies shot a little over 3 years ago, maybe even 4 which doesn't make me happy either.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
    I'm sorry your dog is causing such a problem.

Was he like this at his old home? Is that why they got rid of him? If that's the case, than maybe euthanasia isn't a bad idea. Not all dogs are good dogs.. and dogs that bite are very hard to control.

Don't get me wrong, I am always for trying to fix a dogs behavior problems.. but if this dog was given to you because he was out of control in his old home, and is out of control in your home.. Its either major behavior modification training, or euthanasia. Its up to you.. its up to you on how much time and money you want to spend on this dog.

The first thing you should do is consult an animal behaviorist... not an obedience trainer, but an actual doggy shrink. Get their professional opinion on how bad your dog is.. and what type of work you are looking at in order to make him a good boy.

The fact that he is not neutered is a major factor in his aggression. Intact males are just more aggressive than neutered males. Due to him being 5, his behavior maybe be permanent.

If he was fine at his old home, and is just acting out like this at yours.. I would suspect that there is too much activity in your home. Some dogs just don't do well in a home that has a lot of activity and different people coming and going. Speak with a breed specific rescue and be up front with them about his behavior and see if they can help you find him a home. Sometimes rescues will take dogs with a bite history if they know that the dog only lashed out due to excessive stress.

I however; do not condone that you give the dog up to a family without letting them know that the dog is aggressive or giving up the dog to a different home due to the aggression. If this dog truly is aggressive and unreachable, than I believe you should be the ones to make the decision.

As far as his rabies.. some rabies vaccines are good for 3 years... But if he is a biter, you should get him vaccinated pronto.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog biting [ 6 Answers ]

My 3yr old miniature dashound has began to snap and bite at my grandkids, is there anything I can do besides gettingrid of the dog?

Dachshund Puppy biting [ 3 Answers ]

We have a new mini Dachshund Puppy. The problem we are having is she gets snippy with us. Sometimes when you pick her up she growls and bits at you. She has even bitten my daughters face. How do I stop this behavior? This is my first dog ever so I'm really in the dark about the training....

View more questions Search