Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greengal67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Taking food into puppies' nest??
    My toy poodle puppies are 6 weeks old today. The Mum, Queenie, has started doing some behaviours I find a little odd. I know regurgitating food for them in the nest is normal, and she did do that once or twice. But today I gave her some left over chicken skin from our dinner and she took it into the nest. She didn't let the puppies anywhere near the food and growled and snapped at them if they tried to approach it. She watches them them like a hawk. In the end, I think she ate it herself.

Also, I bought them some smelly chew toys. Queenie grabbed them and wouldn't let the puppies have them! She growls at them if they go near the chews, so I took them away.

Someone has told me that she's being a bully and I need to be careful - she might hurt them.

Is this true? Normal? Any ideas?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Contrary to everyone's belief.. domesticated dogs do not vomit for their young. Your dog is feeling sick to her stomach. I would get her checked out because her behavior is changing and she is becoming protective of her food.

Some dogs are just not good mothers. She nursed them.. they may be weaned.. and that's all she wants of them. I would start to separate her from the puppies completely and let her visit only while you are there to accompany her.

At 6 weeks, your pups should be able to cope fine without their mom, especially since she is being grumpy. If she is only grumpy when food is involved, than I guess I wouldn't let her eat with them around. She is trying to wean them also. Dogs are not necessarily nice when it comes to weaning puppies..

Honestly, I would take her to the vet due to her vomiting. If she is doing just fine.. than I would just continue to monitor her time with the puppies.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Nov 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
    Does she often get scraps of food from the table? That could contributory in the vomiting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does the bird know its own nest [ 2 Answers ]

How does the bird know its own nest

4 week old poodle puppies won't eat softened food [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have six 4 week old toy poodle puppies. I am trying to get them to eat softened food. Any ideas?

My puupy not taking food? [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy palmolein is not taking any food from 5 days.its of 3 months old.but is active.

The best food for dogs/puppies [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am wondering what is the best food for dogs/puppies. I hear so many opinions but still not sure what to choose... I've heard that the dog food is bad and don't mind to spend time for cooking food for my puppy (chocolate lab). Please advise. Thanks very much, Katya

When do I start feeding my puppies normal puppy food [ 4 Answers ]

I have puppies that are purebread shih tzu s. they were born on July 28th and I want to know when to start feeding them puppy food and not letting them milk off their mom?

View more questions Search