Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvk63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Condo kitchen sink vent
    Hello there,

I am a designer and working on remodeling a condominium in a three-story building. My clients want to eliminate a wall in their kitchen, but in that wall there is the vent stack for the kitchen sink and dishwasher – theirs and of the ones below (the condominium is on the third floor). According to my clients somebody in the building has eliminated the wall without a problem but the general contractor that is involved in the project wants to preserve a portion of the wall to accommodate the vent pipe. Is it possible to use Air Admittance Valve in that situation?
    Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day.
    Pvk63
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Since the kitchen sink connects to the stack will it be moved? If so how far away from the stacK will it be? Is this the same stack that has been moved below and if so was it offset to where? If local codes permit where would you install a AAV and where w3ould you drain the sink. We just don't have enough details to answer your question. Regards, Tom
    pvk63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pvk63
    Hello there,

I am a designer and working on remodeling a condominium in a three-story building. My clients want to eliminate a wall in their kitchen, but in that wall there is the vent stack for the kitchen sink and dishwasher – theirs and of the ones below (the condominium is on the third floor). According to my clients somebody in the building has eliminated the wall without a problem but the general contractor that is involved in the project wants to preserve a portion of the wall to accommodate the vent pipe. Is it possible to use Air Admittance Valve in that situation?
    Thank you in advance for your help and have a great day.
    Pvk63
    The sink will stay pretty much in its present location (will be moved no more than 6" in two directions) and its current drain pipes will be relocated accordingly.

the vent stack that was re/moved in the other condo is not the same and unfortunately i do not know the details - just that it was done.

i was wondering if an aav can be used on the main vent stack and the stack can be offset into a bar (30" high wall) perpendicular to the wall to be removed.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 10:11 PM
    A sink or lavatory can be connected to a 'combination waste and vent' system which is a 2" pipe riser and a 2" 1/4 bend at the top [under the sink] and a 2" x 1 1/2" bushing with a 1 1/2" trap IF there is no disposer. A studor vent can be added by simply changing the 1/4 bend with a tee. Keep it low and out of the way of the custom sink you are installing.
    You then must follow the vent and terminate it correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet [ 8 Answers ]

We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it. The dishwasher drain attaches to it just below the sink at a T. On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap. Sometimes...

Kitchen Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

View more questions Search