Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swolinsky1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 08:55 PM
    I am fostering a small poodle whose Mom has just passed away. He needs to gain weigh
    I am fostering a 12 year old poodle whose Mom has just passed away. He had a terrible digestive system and had diarhrea for years living with her. Now I have had success in changing his diet to Blue, with cooked chicken, rice and veggies, like I feed my active 12 year old Jack Russell. He loves it and after 2 weeks is pooping like a healthy dog!

However, he still needs to put on a few pounds. I am hesitant to change his diet now that he seems stablized. He gobbles down his food at mealtimes but I try not to give them any treats... only one/day.

Any suggestions?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
    How long have you been feeding him this new diet?

Nov 9, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    How long have you been feeding him this new diet?
    Almost 2 months
    Pets Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swolinsky1 View Post
    almost 2 months
    I would give him a bit more time to catch up. But, if he's not gaining weight as expected than a trip to the vet is a must before you make any change in diet.

Nov 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I would give him a bit more time to catch up. But, if he's not gaining weight as expected than a trip to the vet is a must before you make any change in diet.
    Thanks for your help. As soon as we can get gas, we're off to the vet!
    Pets Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swolinsky1 View Post
    Thanks for your help. As soon as we can get gas, we're off to the vet!
    Let me know how it goes. Also, thank you so much for fostering this little sweetie. I'd love to see pictures. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog will not gain weigh? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a puppy about 9moths old and he is like skin and bone np matter what I do I have even wormed him

I'm 11 and weigh 53.2kg and want to gain some muscle. What should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been doing 200 crunches daily for about 2 weeks. No improvement. My ab area hurts a little. Wheres the improvement??

I have a high matabolism, and I weigh 79lbs and I'm supposed to weigh 103-123. Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm 13 years old and weigh 79lbs and I'm supposed to weigh 103-123lbs. I also have a high matabolism, I have tried EVERYTHING I possibly can to gain weight from doing nothing as far as excersise goes, to eating ALL day and do nothing. What can I do to gain enough lbs to be 103-123lbs? Please...

How can I deal with weigh gain as part of my eating disorder recovery? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I deal with weigh gain as part of my eating disorder recovery? I have an Eating disorder for a very very long time and can't seem to fully recover Because of the fear of weight gain and out of control eating . What would you Reccomnd I do? And also how can I deal with the sickness(upset...

Can't gain lost weigh back [ 1 Answers ]

OK during the summer I had a loss of appetite and lost about 10 pounds so I got some tests done and the didn't reall find anything. But now I've ganied my appetite back but can't seem to get the weight back. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

View more questions Search