Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdieboy2 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 08:30 PM
    Why would a girl want to be friends with her ex if she knew he still had feelings?
    My ex girlfriend and I are currently friends. In the 20 months since we broke up, our relationship has gone up and down a ton; talking to not talking, to talking, to friends, to not friends, and now friends again. One of the products of dealing with high schoolers I guess :P

Anyway, last week I told my ex girlfriend that I still loved her despite all this time that has passed since we broke up and despite all our ups and downs. She told me that she didn't want a relationship with anybody at the moment since she doesn't want to devote herself to somebody and then move away for college (We're both seniors right now). She also said that she had goals in her life that didn't involve relationships and she has a pretty negative view of relationships anyway at the moment.

I then asked her if she still wanted to be friends, and she said yes. I mentioned that it was unusual for people to want to be friends with their ex'es in general, let alone one that still likes them. I asked her why she still wanted to be friends, and she said "I don't know".

Obviously I'm not complaining about this, but I do find it odd. I know if she were the one that liked me and I were the one that didn't want a relationship, I would feel too awkward to hang out with her and be her friend. Is that just me?
    Wannabecountry Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 PM
    I am an 18 year old girl and my thoughts are she probably does like you and your friendship but she won't let herself go there because she is moving away and doesn't want to get attached to you again just to lose you. That's my opinion but that may not be what she is thinking I don't know.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 09:29 PM
    She probably stays friends because you are familiar. She obviously does not want to date you. Since you have a problem with the relationship, stop spending time with her.
    kimosfire Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Well I have the same problem... yes it's a problem to me
    Because I really love her and I always did... after we broke up she said she want to stay but as a friend
    I dun really know why and I dun know why she broke up with me O.o

Nov 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    She probably stays friends because you are familiar. She obviously does not want to date you. Since you have a problem with the relationship, stop spending time with her.
    Who says I have a problem with the relationship?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
    , I would feel too awkward to hang out with her and be her friend. Is that just me?

You feel awkward.
    What are you looking to gain from this waiting around?

Nov 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
    , I would feel too awkward to hang out with her and be her friend. Is that just me?

You feel awkward.
    What are you looking to gain from this waiting around?
    What I meant by that statement is that if I were in her position, I would not want to be my friend, so I'm curious as to why she wants to. Especially because everybody tells me that ex'es can't be friends, and especially not when one person likes the other.

I don't know what you mean by "waiting around". What do I have to gain? Her friendship...
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
    She hangs around because you are comfortable and maybe it is an ego boost to her. So are you willing to hang around and be her friend?

Nov 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
    She hangs around because you are comfortable and maybe it is an ego boost to her. So are you willing to hang around and be her friend?
    I've been considering if it would be better to stay friends or call it off for the past few months. Since I haven't been able to come up with a definite answer, I think I'm going to leave things as they are because this isn't so bad right now :P
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Well it's your choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She was interested and expressed feelings before I did, but now says lets be friends [ 6 Answers ]

Here's the situation. For several months I went into this bank, and always saw the same bank teller. After a while we became flirtatious. I know that she was divorced, and going through the divorce she was pregnant. She is a single mother of 2 small children, one is almost 2 years old, the other is...

My friends not gay but she has feelings for another girl... What do I tell her? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend has this girl who she plays sports with and this girl has feelings for her. My friend is straight but she doesn't know what to do and she thinks that she has feelings for the other girl too. She is asking me for advice and she needs help what do I tell her??

Is it normal for a girl to have more guy friends than girl friends? [ 5 Answers ]

She always says, 'Why don't you trust me?'. I tell her I do, but my paranoia always kicks in. She's been living with me for well over 3 years, and if I tell her not to talk to someone, she normally doesn't. Now she's left me, and told me she loves me, she just can't live with me. She needs space,...

Old friends, new feelings [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone :) About 3 month ago an old friend started talking to me again, it had been about 3 years give or take since we had a massive falling out. At the time it seemed a big thing but we were just too stubborn I suppose I'm not looking for advice on how to 'get' with her to put it...

Can you be friends with a man if you have feelings for him? [ 2 Answers ]

I am back again. I have talked to all of before. So what I am understanding is that I really shouldn't be friends with this man. Sort of brushed me off after 5 months. Said he had no feelings for me even though he told me that I was exactly what he wanted and we were so alike. I have feelings for...

View more questions Search