Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    florerz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Ex bfs mom owes me money
    What happened was, my ex bfs family's car was almost got repo'ed so his mom asked me if I could get a loan for them to pay the car company to save their car. All of the family members had a bad credit and because I cared about him a lot I agreed to it. I got approved for $2000.00 loan and gave them the money right there and then. They agreed to pay me $100 a month for 2 years for the loan. Now, that we broke up, I tried to call him and text him to remind him of the payment but he never responded. What should I do? Can I sue them. All I have was a verbal agreement, no promissory note or any legal contracts. Please help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
    You are screwed... you will have to prove it was a loan and not a gift... and without something in writing... thats going to be very difficult to do.

You can try to sue him in small claims court and plead your case... and maybe you get lucky... even if you don't. Consider this an expensive lesson. You don't take loans for other people... and you don't ever cosign for any loan you aren't willing to pay off yourself... because you might have to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Hello f:

I'd sue. The worst that can happen is you lose. Small claims court is quick, cheap, and easy.

excon

Nov 8, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You are screwed....you will have to prove it was a loan and not a gift...and without something in writing...thats going to be very difficult to do.

You can try to sue him in small claims court and plead your case...and maybe you get lucky....even if you don't. Consider this an expensive lesson. You don't take loans for other people...and you don't ever cosign for any loan you aren't willing to pay off yourself....because you might have to.

I have texts from him that said he would pay me back, would that help?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by florerz View Post
    I have texts from him that said he would pay me back, would that help?
    Definitely... you can use that to show he knew it was a loan... not as good as a promissory note... but better than nothing.

Nov 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Definitely.....you can use that to show he knew it was a loan....not as good as a promissory note....but better than nothing.
    Thank you so much!

Nov 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
    [QUOTE=excon;3319121]Hello f:

I'd sue. The worst that can happen is you lose. Small claims court is quick, cheap, and easy.

I will try, I hope I win. I don't care about them anymore, I just want my money back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My BF owes his ex money. [ 5 Answers ]

My BF will not break off contact with his ex because he says he feels guilty and he owes her about $30,000. Of course, she wants her money and he should repay it, but in the meantime, she acts like she owns him. She doesn't speak English very well (or pretends not to) and asks him to do...

My ex owes me money what can I do [ 0 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years. Over this period he lost his job and got his car repossessed. I agreed to pay the balance, which was $1,750. Also, he used my eBay account to buy himself a play station and gun accessories. He then got a new job and has been promoted to...

Ex owes me money [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, about 5 years ago my boyfriend asked me if I could take out a loan of $3500 for him so he could get a car he desperately wanted as he had bad credit. Stupidly, I agreed as he verbally promised he would pay me back every cent, and to my disgust the car was a bomb and broke down about 2...

Ex owes me money [ 8 Answers ]

My ex owes me for my half of the damage deposit from when we lived together, and also for half the rent for the month of June. In total, it adds up to 856.25. A month or so ago, I thought I had finally got him to pay, because he gave me a cheque. But it of course bounced. The cheque was mailed back...

Ex-owes me money! [ 7 Answers ]

A few years ago, I was engaged to a man who due to an injury, lost his job. He was in the process of looking for another job when he was suddenly without money. He was in need of $1,000. I offered him the money. He said that he did not want the money from me because he didn't want to ever get into...

View more questions Search