Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    051110rr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Paying taxes on the sales of inherited real estate in trust
    Do I need to add my portion of this sale to my yearly salary?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Maybe. What did you sell it for and what was the Fair market value at the time of death?
    051110rr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 05:43 AM
    House sold at $181,500 with $5,000 back to buyer at closing. The FMV at the time of my mother's death was $174,700.00. I have at least $15,000.00 of expenses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Then you have sold at a loss.

No taxes are due, but the sale MUST be reported on your 2012 tax return.

The loss is NOT deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to pay State or Federal taxes on Inherited Real Estate? [ 3 Answers ]

My brothers and I (2 brothers) inherited my mothers' house that was in a trust. We recently sold the property and the proceeds are to be distributed evenly. The house was sold at $176,500.00 and at the time of my mother's death the FMV was approximately $174,500.00. After expenses we netted...

Paying back taxes on real estate as an investment [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a market for paying back taxes on real estate as an investment in the state of Connecticut?

Home in revocable trust and real estate taxes [ 1 Answers ]

We recently put our house in a revocable trust, per our lawyer advice, with the purpose of having the house passed to our children smooth and easy in case of our death, 2 days ago we received a letter from the county property appraisal office telling us that our application for homestead exemption...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search