Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Thing is Obama recognises that there is a problem and he has dared to say so. He might be part of the solution but that's a long way off
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 PM
    Yup.

As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right."
    Obama agrees to an individual's right to bear arms, in principle, but does not take it as an absolute right and considers it as a negotiable subject.
    We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people's traditions.”
    Obama on Gun Control

Thanks to his first election I lost a million dollar gun business just a year into his first term.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 11:50 PM
    None of that says he is against gun ownership. That's paranoia. The state and local references have to do with licensing just like for operating a motor vehicle or getting married or fishing.

Why do Americans own assault rifles, for instance? Those are made to kill other humans, not made for hunting. That could be one type of weapon that needs further examination as to who owns it and why. Too often it has ended up being used illegally for mass murder.

President Obama had not made any moves against gun ownership when he was first in office, so why did you lose that business?
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 12:49 AM
    How about a compromise, people without a criminal record get to own one hand gun and one long rifle and there be mandatory instruction on the use.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 04:23 AM
    I'm for reasonable backround checks. I'm opposed to limiting the right to certain classes of guns. The AR-15 (assault rifle ) is a very efficient hunting rifle and is used by hunters frequently.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 04:49 AM
    Don't know why you need such a heavy weapon, what are you hunting, bear?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Obama on Gun Control

Thanks to his first election I lost a million dollar gun business just a year into his first term.
    That link doesn't give much detail. What legislation did he pass when he first came into office that affected the retail firearms business?
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    don't know why you need such a heavy weapon, what are you hunting, bear?
    It's for hunters comfort... more precise ,less recoil etc. Maybe they are more precise and accurate... less chance of a wound shot . Maybe they are hunting bear .Why is it anyone's business ? They have the right to own them ,and there are no restrictions on using them for recreation hunting.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:09 AM
    Why is it anyone's business ?
    Because with an assault rifle you can kill many, many more people is a much shorter period.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:22 AM
    Yup and you can kill even more with a truck full of fertilizer. But I don't see anyone calling to ban that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Hello again,

Because with an assault rifle you can kill many, many more people is a much shorter period.
    Couple things.. Ok, THREE things...

Mechanically speaking, the assault rifle you can buy, is the same as a 30.6 hunting rifle. The ONLY difference is the way it LOOKS.

Obama is NOT going to pass ANY gun control. There's no HINT that he will, and he's never SAID that he will. There's only right wing paranoia.

Speaking of right wing paranoia, his election caused a run on guns. Frankly, THAT was the business to be in. Losing a gun business when there's a RUN on guns was probably due to management and NOT Obama's election.

Excon

PS> J_9, you're my friend. I don't mean to criticize you personally. I've lost at least 10 business's in my lifetime.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Mechanically speaking, an assault rifle is the same as a 30.6 hunting rifle. The ONLY difference is the way it LOOKS.
    I was assuming that using the term "assault rifle" meant a fully automatic weapon.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Hello again, NK:

That's why I made the distinction.. Fully automatic weapons are NOT available to the general public. MOST people, however, believe as you do, that assault rifles ARE fully automatic and MUST be banned. Of course, if they WERE, they SHOULD be banned - but they're not.

If you want to ban SOMETHING, ban clips or magazines that hold many multiple rounds. THOSE aren't necessary for hunting.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:42 AM
    If you want to ban SOMETHING, ban clips or magazines that hold many multiple rounds. THOSE aren't necessary for hunting.
    yep, I was wrong there, it's a magazine-fed semi-auto.

It's isn't banned in Canada per se "the AR-15 was granted a sporting exception."
    Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 05:47 AM
    I come from a long line of gun collectors. We are all law abiding citizens. It is my right as a citizen of the US to be able to own any firearm I choose to own.

We have pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and rifles (single shot, semi auto, and full auto) . Yes I am a FFL holder.

We have firearms that date back to the civil war, WWI and WWII up to the most current. They are all working firearms as my husband is a master gunsmith. What am I going to shoot with them? Most of them nothing. Others targets.

We aren't terrorists, just collectors. Yes, I have had to protect myself and my loved ones from grizzly bears in the wilds of Alaska. It takes a very powerful gun to drop a grizzly and a semi-auto is easier than having to load after every shot when you've got a griz charging at you.

As for paranoia... there was a huge fear during the last election and our business boomed. A gun store not only sells firearms, but most of the income comes from selling ammo. Within a year of his election, most ammo was severely limited or completely unavailable. With the lack of income to the store due to lack of ammunition and certain firearms, overhead became a problem. My in-laws who were once multi-millionaires are now living off social security and Medicaid. Now with the advent of Nobamacare they will not even to be able to afford taking care of their health during their golden years. But that's a different thread.
    Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Steve, there was a tremendous run on guns and life was great. The problem came with the limited ammo available after the election.

Nope, not poor management. My FIL is a great business man. That's how he became a multi-millionaire in the first place.
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 05:56 AM
    So many issues here.

Within a year of his election, most ammo was severely limited or completely unavailable.
    Which legislation did that?
    My in-laws who were once multi-millionaires are now living off social security and Medicaid.
    What? Multimillionaires not doing 401Ks (I think that's what you call your self-directed retirement plans there) or savings? Selling off large assets didn't give them enough funds? How does one go from multimillionaire to being on social security in 3 years?? Something is wrong with that story. Was there an overwhelming amount of debt?
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Hello again, NK:

The lack of ammo was a market phenomenon. Apparently, J's store got whipsawed by the market.. If you can't get what your customers want, you're toast.

Look.. I've gone from millionaire to pauper several times in my life. When you're a "job creator" it happens.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2012, 06:14 AM
    Then she should put the blame squarely on people like tom and Steve who willingly whip up the hysteria without any actual facts.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2012, 06:17 AM
    I have no responsibility in 'whipping up hysteria' .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just started birth control 3 weeks ago and my period didn't come yet [ 0 Answers ]

I started ortho tri-cyclen on May 23rd because I have irregular period. I haven't had my period since January & I was put on the pill to regulate my period cycle. I just reached the first pill where I'm suppose to get my period. I'm sexually active & do not use condom. I started getting cramps for...

Does my son's father have any control over where my son and I live and for how long? [ 4 Answers ]

My son's father and I recently split up. I am moving back home to El Paso, Tx to stay with my parents until I can get back on my feet. (We currently live in Houston). My ex agreed to me taking our son with me. He was totally fine with everything yesterday, but this morning he showed me a paper he...

Why is my period lasting so long after birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I usually have regular period- 3-5 days . However I recently insert mirena and now my period is lasting 2 weeks. Why?

How long after being off birth control pills can I get pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children. The youngest is 10. My husband and I are trying for another baby. I have been on Birth control pills for the past 10 years now. I stopped taking them 6 months ago and still am not pregnant. With my second and third child I was off the BC pills for only a month and got pregnant!...

How long can I stay on birth control pills [ 2 Answers ]

Im 26 years old I had 4 kids but one passed away. Im now on Yasmin birth control pill I have been taking it for 1 year and a half. I don't want anymore kids but afraid I might want in the future. Is it bad to stay on birth control pills for long? And how long is bad? Is it safe to stay on them...

View more questions Search