Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wannabecountry Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Nov 7, 2012, 09:47 PM
    I hate my job!!
    O.k. So here's the deal I am 18 and about two months ago my cousin helped me get this retail job. I have never worked retail before but jumped at the chance for some extra cash ;) now two months in I really hate it there the other employees are nasty to me the managers are terrible and they don't let me do any of the things we originally agreed on. I am moving next year and don't really need the money right now ( I'm still living with my parents ) I have another part time job that doesn't pay as well but it's more than I need right now. If I quit I'm afraid my cousin will get in trouble and I really don't want that. What should do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 09:55 PM
    Talk to your supervisor and tell him/her this job and you don't fit together. Christmas hiring is going on now, so they will easily find a replacement.

Nov 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
    Yeah but what about my cousin he's worked there for a long time and he vouched for me. I don't want to get him in trouble
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
    You won't. Your working there and your performance have nothing to do with him. He works there and continues to work there on his own merit.

Nov 7, 2012, 10:03 PM
    Thanks. I don't know if I will be able to do it but I appreciate your advice :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:05 PM
    Go with the "fit" idea -- "this job and I don't fit."

Nov 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
    Any ideas for getting my mom to accept this she really doesn't want me to quit she thinks its stupid to get a job and quit two months later. But I don't think she understands how unhappy I am
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:24 PM
    You are 18 and an adult. You can quit without her okay. Tell her about the poor fit and never do retail again.

What is your other job?

Nov 7, 2012, 10:28 PM
    I work as a private secretary for a guy who sells car parts.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:29 PM
    That sounds far more interesting than the retail job.

In retail, you deal with every conceivable personality type, with every conceivable mood, with every conceivable age.

Nov 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
    Exactly and it's not that I'm not a people person I'm very social it's just I want to love what I do and I definitely don't love this atall
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
    I agree with the others. Your cousin gave you a reference, but after that you are both just working on your own merit in your own jobs. If either of you leave it should not impact the other. The key to not leaving an uncomfortable situation for her is to just use the "I have struggled to make the decision to leave because I greatly appreciate the opportunity and I do not want to put you in a bad situation. However, I need to give you two weeks notice because in the final analysis, the job and I are not a good fit. I hope that will give you enough chance to find someone else." They may not want the two weeks notice, but offering it shows you are considering the needs of the employer, and if you leave on good terms, it will be better for everyone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:34 PM
    Your secretary job gives you a controlled public to deal with, not just any person who wanders into the store. You do customer service with a smaller, select group of people and don't get the stress that retail provides.

Nov 7, 2012, 10:35 PM
    Thanks I didn't think about the two weeks notice :) I really hope all goes well and that my cousin won't have any hard feelings
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:36 PM
    When I was your age, I worked at many different jobs, trying out my wings to see what worked for me and what I was good at. That's what you are doing and meanwhile are learning more about yourself.

Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 PM
    Thanks for all your advice you guys are awesome :) I think I will definitely be much happier and less stressed after I quit.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 10:40 PM
    I was always good at retail-type front-desk work, but my love turned out to be with a controlled, limited clientele and working with numbers, writing letters, etc. Hmmmm, sort of like your secretary job.

Let us know how it goes.

Nov 7, 2012, 10:46 PM
    O.k. I definitely will let you know how it goes :)

Nov 8, 2012, 06:53 PM
    I did it my boss was very understanding and now I only three days left :) thank you so much for giving me the confidence to do this :D I already feel so much better like the weight of the world just got lifted off my shoulders.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!! Now I can sleep well tonight!! Another success story!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't hate my job, I hate my co-worker(s) [ 23 Answers ]

Do you ever have a day in the office where everything is going grand until you see that one person that really grinds your gears. Well I have one of those- I make one little mistake and she takes it up with the supervisor immediately when in fact she makes a million or more errors daily. How...

Why do my adult children hate me - Generational hate [ 14 Answers ]

There seems to be a lot of generation hate out there, anyone agree? I am trying to learn all that I can about the phenomenon I am calling "Generational Hate and dysfunction" . I am coining this phrase today (10/31/2012) because there are a lot of stories out there just like mine scattered...

My parents hate me and I hate myself now. [ 23 Answers ]

I'm 18 and all 18 years of my life I've been verbally abused. I get yelled at over the stupidest things. If my little brother lost his sippie cup it's my fault, I didn't close the lid on the toilet after using it, I stay in my room too much then get yelled at to go to my room when I'm not in it....

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option.what should I do? [ 14 Answers ]

I hate myself.I hate my work but have no other option. People near me are OK but are always either scared or are in an licking state. I hate the environment. I can't quit because I hate to learn and what I know is not good enough. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee tell me what shoul I do! anyone!

View more questions Search