Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taxpuzzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 02:32 PM
    Selling stocks to pay off mortgage
    We want to pay our home mortgage off by selling some stocks we have held for a long time. We owe 190k on the mortgage. Our regular income is only 20k this year. How much will selling this stock affect us tax wise? We understand we have to pay a 15% capital gains tax on the "gain" from the sale. Where do we show the total amount we received and also the "gain" we are being taxed on? We know we use the Schedule D and a Form 8949. Thanks for any help you can provide.

[email protected]
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 02:48 PM
    The long term capital gains tax rate depends on your adjusted gross income (AGI). If you are married filing jointly and your AGI is less than $70,700 the capital gains tax rate is 0%. Above $70,700 its 15%. And yes, you report the sale on form 8949, which gets carried to Schedule D, and the result from Schedule D is carried into Form 1040.

For 2013 we won't know what the rules are until Congress decides how to avoid the fiscal cliff.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
    ebaines again answered everything with his usual competence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you make a living off trading/selling stocks [ 2 Answers ]

Will I be able to make money by buying stockes... if so what company or stocks should I invest in

NJ Nonresidence filing: Net gain from selling stocks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my NJ non-residence tax return filing. I am a residence of Virginia and worked from Jan - Nov 2011. Then I worked in NJ for the month of December (was a residence for less than 30 days there since I commute on the weekend). I sold some stocks in around May of 2011...

8 Finance Questions - interest rates, inflation, mortgage, bonds and stocks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a finance midterm tomorrow, and there are 8 questions for which I do not know the answers. PLEASE HELP :( 1- April is saving $250 in nominal dollars at the end of each year for the next 12 years. The expected annual nominal interest rate is 3% for the first 4 years, 3.6% for the next 6...

Selling with 1st & 2nd Mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

We need to sell our home in which we are a little "upside down" -- between the first and second mortgages, we owe about $3000 more than the house is valued at right now. A friend told me I could ask the second mortgage holder to release their lien so that we can sell the house, and then write up...

View more questions Search