Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meowr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 11:04 PM
    i used the 1040ez instead of 1040nr-ez form, among other things
    hi all

I worked summer in yellowstone through a summer work and travel program conducted by CIEE (Council on International Education Exchange) and Speedwing Travel (a local travel agency). I was on a j1 visa working 4 months in summer 2006.

I received my w-2 forms on time in feb 07. I proceeded to file my tax returns using the 1040ez forms that the travel agency emailed me.

the travel agency is now telling me that I should use a 1040nr-ez form but unable to provide any help about how I should cancel my previous 1040ez submission.

I read about the 1040x form on the IRS.gov website. It seems to be for ammending details on a previous form but not for declaring nr status. How do I use the 1040x form to declare nr status?

I read up too on tax treaties. I am from singapore and according to irs' publication 901, we have no tax treaties with US. But I know that there's a FTA agreement between US and singapore, so I am not sure how that will affect my taxes.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. It is quite a bit of money for a poor student, like me.:(

thanks and regards,
    samantha
    meowr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Hi again,

Um, I thought I'd add that I am returning this summer to work. So this botched tax return will definitely affect me next year in February.

Thanks and regards,
    Samantha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Samantha:

You need to fix the return using Form 1040X and attaching a properly-preared Form 1040NR-EZ to the Form 1040X. It is likely you will have to pay some taxes, but it is worth it to keep your tax filing correct with the IRS.

The INS DOES check to see if green card applicants have filed correctly and, as of now, you have NOT filed correctly or paid the correct amount of tax.

BOTTOM LINE: Fix the problem, even if you need to get professional help to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I filed a form 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a J1 visa and came from Korea. I had a CPA agent do my taxes of 2004. I found out that he made a mistake and sent in the wrong form. My agent sent in a form 1040EZ form; however he should have used a form 1040NR form. Because I worked in U.S. for 3 months in 2004, I was refunded all...

Filled 1040EZ instead of 1040NR [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India, Single. I am working in US on L1 visa since from Nov. 2005. I filled tax returns (1040EZ form) during year 2005 through Turbo Tax. Everything went fine, IRS accepted my 1040EZ file and I got refund as well. This year I came to know that I did mistake as since I am from...

1040nr or 1040ez [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta, Many thanks for the service. I came to US on H1B on April, 16th 2006 and my wife joined me on Sep 5th 2006. I am having 3 W2 forms for the year 2006 from April 16. I would like to file jointly and could you please suggest me to use 1040EZ or 1040NR for Federal tax returns?

1040ez or 1040nr ez? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a job transfer from the US back up to Canada. I'm a Canadian and I was down in the US on a TN visa. For 2005 I filed a 1040EZ. I moved back to Canada at the end of August so in 2006 I lived there for 8 months. Can I still file a 1040EZ? Do I need to report any of my Canadian...

1040ez or 1040nr [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert: Sorry if I 'sent' this twice, because I'm not sure if the previous one has been posted or not. Anyway... I'm a foreigner and was a non-resident alien in US but currently not living/working in US anymore, but I received W-2 form for my last year income. This is a bit of...

View more questions Search