Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollyandromeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Bank Account Levy
    I had a small business and ordered goods from another business to work an event in September, 2003. After the event, the other business never contacted me again. They were supposed to pick up extra product from the event. I called them after the event to make sure that they did, and nobody at the company knew if they did or didn't. I also returned more product, which I originally didn't even order but they sent to me anyway, and they came to my place of business to pick it up.

Afterward, They never returned my calls. I put a stop payment on the original check that I sent them. Then I sent them a detailed letter and a money order, explaining the series of events. They never responded. They never sent me another invoice. I never received an updated bill. I never received a collections call or collections notice. I never received a summons to appear in court. I never received a complaint, a judgement or any other document from the company NOR a collection agency; I did not receive any legal documents or court notices.

I moved in January, 2005 and definitely put in a change of address form and my mail was forwarded to my new address.

Fast forward 3 1/2 years. In January 2007 I went to withdraw $40 from my ATM. It was declined. I then learned that someone had levied $4033.00 from my checking account. It was all the money I had in the world.

Upon investigation, there is a judgement against me in Los Angeles Civil Court for $4800.00. The original invoice was only for $3,200.00. I returned over half of the product and sent them a money order for about $980.00, which I believed to be the correct amount due.

The courthouses have not been very helpful or clear. According to my research, mailing documents to the address they have on file fullfills legal serving of notice requirements. I never received such mail. I knew nothing about this until January.

What do I do? The attorneys I've spoken with say it will be too expensive to hire them. Some say there's nothing I can do. I'm going to court in the morning to dispute this, but under what legal grounds? HELP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
    All you need to do is produce all of the documents, signed reciepts where they picked up, or shipping invoices where you shipped the goods back, money order reciepts and the such. If you keep all the original paperwork then you should have no trouble at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account levy [ 13 Answers ]

3 days ago I found out that my bank account had been frozen. I contacted the bank and they said there was a levy on my account. I never received any kind of notice stating that this was going to happen. What steps can I take to correct this?

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Bank Account Levy [ 1 Answers ]

Will they go after my house, if I close my account? I can't pay my other bills because they are holding my deposit?

Levy of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

A Lawfirm has placed a levy on my bank account because of a Credit Card bill owed by my common law wife. Her name is also on my account. How do I get a release from this levy.

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search