Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 09:47 AM
    No one can ever truly understand a connection that two people shared but I value all your opinions!
    This is so self serving as if you are the only one in the world to ever be in love, and lost. Puh... leeeeeeeeze!
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Real love does exist but it does not quite compare realistically with how the movies portray it.

For the poster here, 4 years is a long time. Perhaps you have regrets, perhaps you have been hurt and are now feeling how he must have felt but he has likely long moved on by now. I would leave him alone and move on with your life..

Also, 6 months is not long enough to realistically have true feelings for someone because you are still getting to know each other. I'm sure it was special for him at the time but his feelings would have been long gone by now.

Put it all down to experience and if you think you dumped a prince and now regret it, remember not to do that again.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LBP
    I think contacting him would be an okay idea... But don't do it in the hopes of getting him back... Just keep an open mind. Let what happens, happen.
    And be ready to accept he may not welcome you with open arms, realistically, don't you think he may have changed. Romantic notions and dreams are great for the movies, real life is much more unpredictable.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 12:48 PM
    It was a horrible idea. Maybe after a week because oyu regretted it and miss him. Not 4 years - you ended it - WHY?? You haven't told us.

You may find a lot of heart ache and sorrow calling him. He may a terrific life and your break was the best thing that happened to him.

UNLESS you really would consider getting back with him... it would be a selfish move.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Well, regardless of any of the details... I sincerely believe you have doubts as to whether you should or shouldn't. I am going to refer to my favourite saying here... "When in doubt.... DON'T!!!"

If you really believed it was the right thing to do you wouldn't be asking others for their opinions. I say let sleeping dogs lie... time to move on.

Didi
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Gramma - why didn't you tell me that like 10 years ago?? Ha!

Right on!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Versace26
    No one can ever truly understand a connection that two people shared but I value all your opinions!!
    Really??

So I guess you are the only one that understands then...

If you think it will help you contact him, but you will probably be very surprised by what you find.

I say move on...

If it were at least a year you shared together, and not more than a year had passed, I might say different but I question why you feel this way now after leaving him and hurting him the way you did and after 4 YEARS, think of re-entering his life in some way, shape or form.

Its your decision and it may not do any harm other than causing him some confusion as to why someone he went out with for 6 months would be feeling like this after 4 years and yes, he could be married and even have kids.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:37 PM
    I wouldn't contact him. It's been 4 years and he's no doubt moved on with his life. It really wouldn't be fair to him for you to barge in now, especially since you were the one who broke up with him. He might be in a serious relationship or even married and you contacting him will likely only build resentment.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Yes,

Just leave him alone and put it down to experience.

I just remembered in my head how long 4 years really is.

See, I don't think life is as short as people say it is, not when we remember what we did in a lifetime, assuming we live the average life expectancy.

Sorry to go off the rails of the thread's subject.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    Gramma - why didn't you tell me that liek 10 years ago??? ha!

Right on!!!
    I can sense a new face of wisdom in the air!
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    Gramma - why didn't you tell me that liek 10 years ago??? ha!

Right on!!!
    You probably wouldn't have listened 10 years ago. LOL! ;) You know what we are like. We were all know it alls 10 years ago. Just ask those people who are 10 years older than us.:D
    Versace26 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    This is so self serving as if you are the only one in the world to ever be in love, and lost. Puh.......leeeeeeeeze!

I apologize if any of you took offense by my saying that but what I meant was that while we can all relate with each other, the experience we each have is unique in a sense...

Anyhow, I have made up my mind and decided NOT to call him... my intention was in good nature. I got this strong intuition to call him not as an ex-girlfriend but just as an old friend but I realize it's hard to do that as an Ex-girlfriend...

Thank you all again for your thoughts and comments...
    LBP Posts: 206, Reputation: 42

Mar 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
    I suppose the real question is, why do you feel you have the right to enter his life after breaking his heart? Especially if you have no interest in rekindling your love interest...
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Skell - I know - I would not have listened 10 years ago. I understand now though big time.
    oceandrive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Versace26
    Hello Dear Readers,

Well, what I thought was the greatest love story ever told...was not. I have had this driving intuition to contact my ex-boyfriend just to see how he is doing and show him I still care. I have had no contact with him in 4 years. I am the one who broke off the relationship (we only dated a brief period of 6 months) and he was heart broken with desire to continue it. In respect, I had no contact with him but I still prayed that he would be great and move on.

Will my attempt to contact him all this time later put pressure and cause him more inconvenience since I am the one who broke off with him? Or can it create some peace in his heart?

Hello,

I think you should listen to your heart and do what you believe to be right. Ask yourself why you are thinking about him, and what you could result from getting back in contact.
    You only live once, and if after 4 years he is on your mind, I'd say the call is definitely worth considering.

At the very least, you could end up re-finding a great friend you once had.

Go with your instinct, and you feel better for it.
    Zeus2007 Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Mar 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Are you honestly looking for something an answer your own guilt eating you? Are you lonely? You need to look inside and see the motivator. Are you selfish or are you something other than that. Most of us are insecure, what a poision it its. We punish people who would never hurt us in the first place just for the sake of feeling better ourselves. So if you honestly care weigh the pain you might cause with what might be gained and be ready to apologize for causing pain. Soon as you hear pain you need to bail and cover that wound with as much caring ( apology as you can muster , "sorry I called") and feeling you can muster cause you are the cause. Willing to do that?

Apr 8, 2007, 12:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oceandrive
    Hello,

I think you should listen to your heart and do what you believe to be right. Ask yourself why you are thinking about him, and what you could result from getting back in contact.
    You only live once, and if after 4 years he is on your mind, i'd say the call is definitely worth considering.

At the very least, you could end up re-finding a great friend you once had.

Go with your instinct, and you feel better for it.

I love that spirit and attitude! Thanks for the positive feedback but I won't call him... I think it now boils down to me being a coward that is moving on with life. Maybe I had to re-visit the past to still learn some issues inside me and I think it worked but that does not explain the 2 dreams I had about him in a row that scared me straight. Best of love and happiness to you!

Apr 8, 2007, 12:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus2007
    Are you honestly looking for something an answer your own guilt eating you? Are you lonely? You need to look inside and see the motivator. Are you selfish or are you something other than that. Most of us are insecure, what a poision it its. We punish people who would never hurt us in the first place just for the sake of feeling better ourselves. So if you honestly care weigh the pain you might cause with what might be gained and be ready to apologize for causing pain. Soon as you hear pain you need to bail and cover tht wound with as much caring ( apology as you can muster , "sorry I called") and feeling you can muster cause u r the cause. Willing to do that?

I agree that insecurity sometimes causes people to hurt the ones they love to protect themselves... maybe that is what I did... who knows! I keep telling myself that it only lasted 6 months and not 10 years but honestly, I have been in longer relationships and not felt what I felt in those 6 months I did with him so I don't always think that time is a barometer in how much you can love someone. It's all a connection thing. I don't regret the break up... it was meant to be and life is perfect as it is right now. I am not willing to risk looking like a fool and calling him. I'd rather send him positive energy from afar... cowardly but better for me and him too.
    SouthernBelle06 Posts: 166, Reputation: 83

Apr 8, 2007, 03:08 AM
    I would say that if you have a simple way to contact him such as an email account you know he uses and it wouldn't take the work of a private detective to contact him, why not drop a simple line to say hello if you truly want to? I would be more apt to contact him via email than phone (more casual and gives him time to think if he wants to respond or not). However if you have to do a lot of digging to find him and end up looking like a stalker to the point at which he would ask "how on Earth did she find me?", don't. Just let it go. That's probably a sign in itself that this is a bad idea.

It has been 4 years and he probably is past any resentment he felt towards you since the breakup. He might be pleasantly surprised to hear from you and it is possible you could strike up a friendship again. But make sure that if you do contact him, it's because you truly miss him and care, not just because you are lonely or bored or feeling guilty. Don't mess with his head after all this time for selfish reasons. Also if you do contact him, keep it simple and as old friends and very, very casual. I wouldn't mention the breakup or relationship at all after this time.

I believe in taking a chance in life and a simple hello doesn't have to be a life or death big deal. No one can say for sure how it might go, but it will be risky. Contact him only if you are prepared to deal with the possible consequences. He may be single again, but you must also be prepared to hear that he is with someone else now, possibly even married, and that an ex is not always welcome in the picture. You may feel like a fool in this case and will have to leave him alone out of respect for his new relationship. Also, he may not want to hear from you and may not reply, in which case you know you gave it a try and then move on for good. Even if he is single, he has moved on and may only look at you as an acquaintance now with no possible chance of a relationship because you hurt him before. Any number of possibilities can arise. If you are not able to handle any of these scenarios, then don't contact him.

The bottom line is, contact him only if you are prepared to handle any possible outcome, even the ones you don't want to happen. Otherwise, just move on and let it go. Learn from this experience.
    mwbigg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
    It sounds like you simply want to tell him how you feel. And it sounds to me you feel some guilt and affection. Why not just write a brief email, or better yet, an actual letter (which would show sincerity)? In it, say something as simple as: "Hey! Guess you never thought you'd hear from me again, huh? Well, I don't want to intrude in your life but just wanted to say that I've been thinking about you lately. Especially how I could have handled things a little better. Anyway, if you're not still using my picture as a dart board, I'd love to talk sometime. Even an email would be great."

My opinion is that with a short email/letter like that, you've let him know that you don't think the break up was wrong but you could have been a little easier on him. And, you've expressed your desire to talk. If he doesn't want to, he won't. But, the bottom line is, you will have communicated the 2 things you wanted to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold calling? [ 8 Answers ]

Is cold calling dead? In today's sales world what is the best way to reach prospective clients. Is it OK to walk in unannounced?

Another One Of My Ex's Keeps Calling Me [ 12 Answers ]

Ok... here Is Another Ex Boyfriend, I Saw Him Briefly At Walmart A Couple Months Back, All We Did Was See Each Other We Didn't Talk Or Anything... and Now A Couple Weeks Ago He Started Calling Me Again Telling Me That He Missed Me. And I Was Completely Rude To Him And Told Him Why I Think Our...

View more questions Search