Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Computer problem - long to load programs for first time
    I have a DEll inspiron N5050 4Gb Ram; i3 CPU; 500Gb hard disk. I recently had to reinstall windows because windows 7 couldn't be found; they got deleted. After the reinstallation I have been experiencing this problem; when I load a program for the first time after start up e.g internet explorer it takes long to load but after I close it and reopen it it starts immediately. I carried out several disk clean ups; defragmentation; I scanned for errors; registry cleanup with ccleaner. None helped. Now the fact is that I scanned with the chkdsk function and found no bad sectors but when I check using another program recommended by dell website bad sectors were found. What do you suggest me to do?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 11:07 AM
    It's possible your anti-virus is causing the issue. What are you using for AV?

Nov 6, 2012, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    It's possible your anti-virus is causing the issue. What are you using for AV?
    AVG and I removed it from startup
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
    I would delete that completely, then use Ccleaner to do a Registry cleanup, then use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Nov 6, 2012, 11:16 AM
    But I usually do well with it and I have it on another computer which doesn't do the samething. Still I am going to try to be sure; thanks for your help. What do you ay about the fact that windows disk check is saying that there are no errors but other program suggested by dell is saying that there are bad sectors
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 11:39 AM
    That would be a concern. What Dell utility is telling you that?
    Did you ever find out why your OS disappeared from view in the first place?

Nov 6, 2012, 11:53 AM
    I don't know what caused it probably because I did a power shut down more than once.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Better hope there's no hardware damage, obviously that's not fixable by software.

When you start a brand new application and that lag happens you could always open that task manager to see what process is using all the cycles.

Nov 6, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Could you suggest a good freeware software - I have just installed tuneup utilities 2013 and found some errors which it is fixing. It has a 15 day trial. Any other ideas?
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 12:20 PM
    I'm a big fan of CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Nov 7, 2012, 02:58 AM
    Well I use ccleaner but to no avail. This is the program which dell says is good:
    Free PC Health Check | Dell UK

What I mean by slow is that program takes about 5 secs to load for first time and immediately on second time. Is this something wrong with my laptop or not because I don't know whether it is normal or not?

I tried also advanced system optimizer of which I have a legal copy and it found no errors but this dell supported prgram is saying that hard disk is showing signs of corruption

Nov 7, 2012, 05:08 AM
    Are there any freeware programs which can fix bad sectors?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Nov 17, 2012, 08:33 AM
    How did you reinstall? From an actual win7 disk, from the hidden recovery image on the drive, or from a Dell recovery disk. The Win7 retail disk may not have the proper drivers but might install generic ones during the initial reinstall phase. The other methods should supply drivers though not the latest. Even if you used a retail disk you can still get some drivers from the Dell site for your specific model and see if they fix it (chipset, ethernet, or video usually).

Nov 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    How did you reinstall? From an actual win7 disk, from the hidden recovery image on the drive, or from a Dell recovery disk. The Win7 retail disk may not have the proper drivers but might install generic ones during the initial reinstall phase. The other methods should supply drivers though not the latest. Even if you used a retail disk you can still get some drivers from the Dell site for your specific model and see if they fix it (chipset, ethernet, or video usually).
    I reintstalled windows 7 from a dvd on which I downloaded windows 7 and then entered the product key at the base of the laptop. The drivers which I installed came from the dell cd and from the website.

Nov 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Lastly when I shut down the laptop and start it it takes a longer time to boot up than when I hibernate it and start it again later. Programs take even longer when I shut down laptop and start it than when I hibernate it and start it! In addition internet explorer for example takes about 2 seconds to load when I hibernate and start it but up to 10 seconds when I shut down it and boot up. ANy ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite front load takes a long time to go through the 2nd load [ 0 Answers ]

My kenmore elite front load goes through the various cycles with the 1st load fine but it takes a very long time (hours) to go through the 2nd load with the same settings as the 1st.

Why does it take a long time to load programs [ 5 Answers ]

Why does takes a long time for a program to load from my desktop?

Computer problem:message keep's poping up, all the time,erroloadingc:\windows\system3 [ 1 Answers ]

computer problem:message keep's poping up, all the time,erroloadingc:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\ w32x86\3\lxcctime.dll,please advise,Thank You,Best Regards,Carl

Computer takes a long time to shut down [ 1 Answers ]

My computer takes a long time to shut down. It seems to hang on the “Windows is Shutting Down” screen. Is it safe to turn the power off with this screen still showing on the monitor or do I need to wait till it finally shuts down on its own before turning the power switch to off?

I Want To Load Vista Programs [ 5 Answers ]

Into a computer with a Win XP Pro platform. Can I do ths or aren't the two compatible? Regards, Tom

View more questions Search