Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 13, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Need to find 4GB on drive-where/how do I look?
    Have Win98 on a Compaq Deskpro. Just loaded Fixit utility program and according to that program my computer is supposed to be a 6GB but when I open properties for C: drive only shows 2GB. Where are the other 4GB and how do I find them? Assistance would be appreciated as I'm not an expert on this at all. Thx.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2005, 06:49 AM
    Hard drive
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; cause I like it.
    Sounds as if windows might be incorrectly reporting your hard drive size.
    First think I would do it to run a scandisk from the c:> prompt.

You can do that as follows:

Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANDISK
    You will now see C:>SCANDISK
    Press Enter
    This will take about 2 or 3 minutes.
    Follow the instructions if it finds that windows is incorrectly reporting size, by selecting FIX, and you can select DELETE any stuff it finds that you don't need.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.

If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANDISK
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

If this doesn't fix the problem, please post back.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 08:46 PM
    Tried your suggestion...
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; cause I like it.
    Sounds as if windows might be incorrectly reporting your harddrive size.
    First think I would do it to run a scandisk from the c:> prompt.

You can do that as follows:

Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANDISK
    You will now see C:>SCANDISK
    Press Enter
    This will take about 2 or 3 minutes.
    Follow the instructions if it finds that windows is incorrectly reporting size, by selecting FIX, and you can select DELETE any stuff it finds that you don't need.
    when finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.

If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANDISK
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

If this doesn't fix the problem, please post back.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Still only showing 2GB so possibly my drive is only that big. Maybe the FixIt Utilities program reported the size wrong. But it did seem to speed up my computer somewhat so I want to thank you for that as I used the last solution you had suggested since I can't boot into safe mode or command prompt mode w/this Compaq at all. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

BIOS/CMOS can find my second hard drive but Windows cannot [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I installed windows on a 1GB primary master hard drive and that is working fine. And now I am trying to attach a 40GB Seagate as a primary slave hard drive to put music and pictures and games and document etc on it. But the screen that first comes up when you press restart (not sure...

Lost est 2.5gb in c drive&cannot find at all? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have lost est2.5gb+ in my memory have deleted some songz,ford racing 3,it made no diff it have fragd my disc ,made no diff,I don't mind if I knew what or where it went but thnkz dj

How to find out ? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everybody, How to findout weather my computer is being observed by other people or not. I mean if my computer is hacked or not??

Modems on one drive not on other drive [ 3 Answers ]

Help I have a compaq 501OUS pent 3 win ME. I have a 2 gig hardrive I have no problem going on line, when I took my 2gig hardrive out and put a 40gig hardrive in my moden won't respond, I have reinstall the modem(US Robotics PCI Faxmodem includes V.92 and V.90 ITU standard technologies) physycly...

View more questions Search