Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Azza Ibrahim 77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
    German passport eligiblty
    Hii
    I am from Sudan , but I was born in Germany in January 1987. Would I have chance to get German passport,
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 04:12 PM
    No, rules have changed, one of your parents would have had to be born in Germany in order for you to have German citizenship. It is by blood only.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Actually Tickle, if he was born in German, he would be a German citizen, unless citizenship was changed when he moved to Sudan. That's my understanding anyway.

Having said that, I don't know why anyone would want a German passport. Even as a German citizen it's impossible to get one if you don't live in Germany. I should know, I'm a German citizen living in Canada. Getting my passport, and I have no choice but to get a German passport, is not fun at all.
    Expert

Nov 5, 2012, 11:04 PM
    I believe, now, there are only two ways to become a german citizen, by naturalization, meaning you would have to have lived in Germany for eight years, speak fluent german (apparently this is a prerequisite), or have one parent born in Germany.

So, the way I see it, the OP doesn't fall under either category, but then on the other hand, he doesn't tell us much at all, so I am going on the assumption.

Do you speak fluent german, Alty ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I believe, now, there are only two ways to become a german citizen, by naturalization, meaning you would have to have lived in Germany for eight years, speak fluent german (apparently this is a prerequisite), or have one parent born in Germany.

So, the way I see it, the OP doesnt fall under either category, but then on the other hand, he doesnt tell us much at all, so I am going on the assumption.

Do you speak fluent german, Alty ?
    I do speak fluent German. It's a bit rusty since I no longer have anyone to speak it with. My parents died 11 years ago, and my MIL 6 years ago. But get me to Germany (if I could just get my damn passport) and within a week you won't even know that I've lived in Canada most of my life. Ask my poor husband, we went 11 years ago and it drove him nuts. I started speaking nothing but German to him not even realizing I was doing it.

I do have a good friend that is German and lives in Canada, but we don't see each other as often as I'd like, she lives an hour away. Her daughter and mine are best friend, they met in Kindergarten. My daughter is in the German bilingual class. :)
    Expert

Nov 7, 2012, 02:52 AM
    I am all with getting the kids to speak as many languages as possible. It opens up tremendous job opportunities, and Canadian youth are the most travelled individuals on the planet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

Mother German- do I qualify for German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is now deceased was born in Germany. She obtained American citizenship. Is there any chance that I can obtain a German passport?

I'm german but live in england my husband is turkish can he get a german passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm german living in england My husband is turkish can he get a german passport Because I'm german??

Where can I get proofs that my grandfather was German --> Obtaining German Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, My Grandfather was German and he escaped to New York from the Nazis around 1940. He was naturalized as a US Citizen in Feb 1945 so technically he should lose his German Citizenship, however because of Nirenberg laws he's entitled to regain his German Citizenship, hence my father and...

View more questions Search