Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuschia710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
    verifying trig identity!
    I can't solve this for the life of me and I am sure I will feel like an idiot after seeing the solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I pull my hair out over this little problem! Argh!

verify the identity:

sin4x = 8cos"cubed"xsinx - 4cosxsinx

if any help, I tried factoring out 4cosxsinx leaving 2cos"squared"x - 1, however I didn't get too far into this before getting stuck.. :)
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 PM
    this one was pretty easy. We're just deriving the "quad angle formula for sin", similar to the double angle formula. I just looked at a table of trig identities:
    Table of Trigonometric Identities
    there are 2 important ones there:

so we just use these two to expand the sin(4x)
    first let u=2x and expand with the double angle sin formula, then substitute the 2x for the u and use both double angle formulas to expand

this is the same as what you wrote in your question.

if you looked at your table of trig identities you should have seen that cos^2(x)-1 was cos(2x) and maybe that would have given you an idea.

ask questions if you have any left.
    Thanks!
    minnieirl55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
    How to solve 1+ sin 2x = (sin x + cos x)^2
    snowflake317 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2010, 07:54 AM
    If we take the Right Side of this equation (sinx + cosx)^2 then we can expand it according to the identity (a+b)^2= a^2 + b^2 +2ab
    => sin^2x + cos^2x +2sinxcosx
    according to the basic trigonometry identities , sin^2x + cos^2x=1 and 2sinxcosx=sin2x
    => 1+sin2x which is equal to the left side of your equation.

if you want to solve it using the left side, you just have to go from bottom to top of the solution written above.

glad to help :D
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 08:21 AM

Yes, except that you need to check the date... for the last question, it was 11 Dec 2008... two years ago :rolleyes:

Next time, check the date :)
    snowflake317 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks. . I'll keep that in mind next time :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help with simplifying, factoring, and verifying in Trigonometry [ 1 Answers ]

have a take home quiz that I need to do well on. Having trouble with these: Simplify. + Factor and then simplify. (sec^2x-1)/(1+secx) Factor then simplify. Cos^4x-2cos^2+1 Verify. (cotx tanx)/sinx=cscx

Verifying US Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a legal way to verify one's US citizenship, for example, comparing name & social security number to an official database?

Identity [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to now after 9 months that my son married through a registered marriage some one from another country and sponsoring her for Visa. He did not reveal it and they kept every thing secret. No one in the family knew about it. After I came to know I begged him over the phone to go through...

Identity [ 1 Answers ]

How do you derive cos^2(x) plus sin^2(x)=1?

Verifying DMI Pool Data [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install an O/S, and during the boot process my computer gets hung upon the following message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I can not get to a DOS prompt. I can not boot from the floppy, I have tried many different things, such as changing the boot sequence, trying to get to Safe...

View more questions Search