Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uk30000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Electrical questions and answers free
    Hi
    I have fixed a lcd TV to the wall and the lead does not reach the electrical point.
    I want to make an extension lead as thin as possible to go through trunking along with the aerial lead. The TV lead is 2 core wire with a 13 amp fuse in the plug.
    My questions are: I have seen 2 core wire in 3 amp and 6 amp, which do I need? Do I put another 13 amp fuse in the plug and does it matter about the blue and brown colouring of the inner core wiring?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 4, 2012, 07:14 AM
    You want an extension cord

Go to lowe's or some such place, get some "zip cord" basically 2 conductor wire, not smaller than 14 gauge, 12 is better.

Use the cord ends for lamps like these

Flat Connector # SA155B by Cooper Wiring Devices

Lamp Cord Plug # BP2601W-SP by Cooper Wiring Devices

Wire color matters in your cord, figure out which one is hot and which one is neutral. Hot is connected through the fuse so open the fuseholder and test continuity to the plug (hot is the smaller blade, the one on the right in the receptacle if the round ground hole is on the bottom, the bigger neutral one is on the left)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 07:41 AM
    It should be noted that the OP is in the UK, or some place close to it.

Nov 4, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    It should be noted that the OP is in the UK, or some place close to it.
    Ew... concept is the same I guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Nov 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Thanks for the above.
    I guess that this site is predominantly American users. I'm British. May be slightly different terminology.

Nov 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Are you saying that lamp cable is good for LCD tvs?
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Nov 4, 2012, 02:26 PM
    I would look at the sticker on your TV and see what wattage/amperage it uses, then decide on the size of the cable based on the watts/amps your TV uses. The fuse you put in the plug should correspond with the fuse rating for whatever size cable you use.

Not sure what you mean by "does it matter about the blue and brown colouring of the inner core wiring?". I can tell you that brown is live and blue is neutral, and that brown connects to brown, and blue connects to blue.

Bear with us on the American/British differences.
    By the way, if you need to convert watts to amps, you divide the watts by voltage.
    For example, in the UK: 690 watts/230volts equals 3 amps.

Hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Wire is wire
    In America it's wise to assume copper is the conductor material if material is unspecified

That leaves size and insulation as the distinguishing characteristics, "lamp cord" commonly called "zip cord" here, means a two conductor cable

Zip-cord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The insulation is light duty as far as abrasion and cut resistant, suitable for what you described

The TV won't know or care if it's Lamp cord

Nov 4, 2012, 03:26 PM
    The reason I asked about the colouring is that it does not matter which way around the connection goes into the TV which seems a bit strange to me.
    Interesting about the formula.
    I thought zip cord was an American address.
    Thanks for the help

Nov 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uk30000 View Post
    The reason I asked about the colouring is that it does not matter which way around the connection goes into the tv which seems a bit strange to me.
    Interesting about the formula.
    I thought zip cord was an American address.
    Thanks for the help
    Zip cord not zip code
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
    wire is wire
    Not at all.

There are vast differences between the US and the UK as far as sizing and color.

Nov 4, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Not at all.

There are vast differences between the US and the UK as far as sizing and color.
    (sigh) I believe my posts addressed those issues? Point is electricity passes through it the same way all over the world.

And color means NOTHING when hooked up wrong doesn't it? (not a question)

I'm sure that OP is not an idiot and gets the point that appropriate size and insulation are critical.
    He posted this;
    I guess that this site is predominantly American users. I'm British. May be slightly different terminology.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free electrical questions answers? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 240volt single phase panel and I need to hook up a 3phase 208 volt sub panel to it for a festival this weekend,can I do it? I know I will only be able to use 2phases of the 3 phase panel.I don't need 3phase anyway

Free electrical questions answers [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to install 3 new wall lights. There were lights there previously. When I check to make sure the wires are live before installing the fixture, they are live. Once the fixture is installed and I check again, the wires are no longer live. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Free answers to electrical questions [ 0 Answers ]

Can I buy nmwu #4 4 conductor cable and if so where can I find reference in the canadian code book ?

Free answers to electrical questions [ 1 Answers ]

want to buy a swag plug-in chandelier but it only comes in a pendant lamp to be hung from the electric box in the ceiling. Can I change the electric cord with one that has a plug on the end to plug into the wall? I will need more chain and a long cord with a plug. Can I do this and how difficult...

View more questions Search