Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sparkymalark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Electrical questions
    I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. Including the switch wire, all the wires in the box are hot (even the white wires). I'm not sure how this box was wired before but there doesn't seem to be any neutral wires. This doesn't make sense to me. Can a light or ceiling fan be hooked without a neutral?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 4, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Why do you think they are ALL hot?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 06:24 AM
    I bet the circuit is still on and you are reading a backfeed.
    I'll also ask the same thing, how are you testing this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have a box on a wall that I believe was a light switch, can I attach an outlet to it instead. It is now covered but has a white wire about 1 inch wide inside the box.

Ask electrical questions [ 0 Answers ]

ques: A 20Ωresistance and a 30mH inductance are connected in series and the circuit is fed from 230V, 50Hz, AC supply. Find inductive reactance, impedance, RMS value of current, a voltage across resistance, voltage across inductance, apparent power, reactive power, realpower and power...

Electrical questions [ 1 Answers ]

If a 150w multi-tap MH fixture was wired for 120v,can I change it to work at 208v after it was used at 120v?

Electrical questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a lightpost in my yard which had an outlet in the center of the post. The outlet only worked if the light was on. The light was controlled by a hard wired timer which had a black, white, red and green wire. I assume the red and black juiced the outlet and the light. The...

Electrical questions [ 0 Answers ]

Installed a solar panel last january 3 units in basement that convert the dc current to ac Ever since i have been experiencing power surges Some appliances have burned out Tv's will come on in the middle of the night Baltimore put a monitor in for a week and found no problems The solar...

View more questions Search