Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Nov 2, 2012, 07:42 PM
    Mobile home water heater replacement
    We have a 1994 mobile home, the Rheem water heater busted recently. On the heater, it says it is basically a special model designed for mobile homes. It also has two strange-looking copper fittings going into it and attached to polybutelene pipes (don't get me started on the polybutilene... )
    My question is, do I need to somehow find a "special" water heater designed for mobile homes, or can I just find one that fits and use that?
    It is also on a 20 amp circuit, which I found odd...
    Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Back in the 70's I worked as a line plumber for mobile home factories. At that time we installed 20 gallon single element water heaters in our units. You don't need a "special mobile home heater, Any electric heater that fits will work. You need to swap that 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp one ASAP. Good luck, Tom
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Nov 3, 2012, 07:39 AM
    Thanks, although if I can help it, I'd rather keep the 20amp breaker, because it's on #12 wire.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2012, 07:48 AM
    While 20 amps will work you're cutting it close. Your element pulls 19 amps. A 30 amp breaker's standard for all heaters. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I changed the water heater in my mobile home and now the showers don [ 2 Answers ]

I changed the water heater in my mobile home and now the water pressure is down. One shower trickles and the other does not work at all. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mobile home hot water heater leaking [ 0 Answers ]

I leave in a mobile home. The water is leaking under the home - right under the hot water tank. My husband has dementia so he doesn't remember why and or how it is leaking. My daughter who is the jack of all trades is on her way to help me. Could it be the pipe that goes into the tank that...

Replacement Cost Policy Mobile Home Florida [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a percentage of loss in relation to the stated replacement cost policy limit that triggers the insurer obligation to deem the mobile home a total loss.

Rewiring a mobile home heater unit [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to rewire a mobile home heater unit and are having problems with where the wires go. We got the parts but can't find a picture of the wires. It is a nordyne. Any help?

How do I plumb a hot water heater in a mobile home? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone,new to this site! The heat tape failed in this trailer and the hot water tank is probably original.I am going to the township this morning to get an idea of what codes need to be followed.who ever put the plumbing in for this hot water tank cobbled,bandaded,and it looks like they never...

View more questions Search