Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Boy, I got here late.
    Really? Shock collars on chihuahuas? For potty training? As has already been noted, terrible advice.
    Yackie, stick to the positive reinforcement, it will pay off soon.
    And I would also like to thank you for giving a mill puppy a second chance.
    They are really a cute pair.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Adorable pups. Thanks for sharing their pictures. :)
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Awww an overload of cuteness :) psst in my books you are a hero for rescuing the dogs and giving them their furever home. Thank you so much! Also thank you for realizing what advice to listen to and what one to ignore.
    Yackie Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Thanks everyone... just an update... Started today off like I had new puppies, kept on top of them, took them out every 2 hours or right after they ate or drank a lot, praised them when they went outside and I am happy to say not 1 accident today!!
    Pets Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yackie View Post
    Thanks everyone...just an update...Started today off like I had new puppies, kept on top of them, took them out every 2 hours or right after they ate or drank a lot, praised them when they went outside and I am happy to say not 1 accident today!!!
    That's great! Keep up the good work, they'll be back on track in no time at all. :)
    twdmet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 03:12 PM
    If a dog got no issues, then why would you even train it? There is no need to train a dog that's already behaving good. Also, by training a dog that does not need the training, it could make the dog misunderstand the whole situation.
    You don't understand what he means by saying that, Alty? And you are saying he's dumb. Haha. Think about it, I think since you and he argued you don't want to understand him :P
    He means that Yackie's dog's are adults- By that, an adult dog that's behaving good it don't need any training. He's not talking about puppies, which you brought into the conversation.
    I understand what he means at least :)

But on topic, how are the potty training working for you Yackie?

Nov 6, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Its been going OK twdmet but the mill dog is now trying to sneak to the basement rec room... but I'm trying to keep a good eye on him and catch him before he goes!
    Pets Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twdmet View Post
    You don't understand what he means by saying that, Alty? And you are saying he's dumb. Haha. Think about it, i think since you and he argued you don't wanna understand him :P
    He means that Yackie's dog's are adults- By that, an adult dog that's behaving good it dont need any training. He's not talking about puppies, which you brought into the conversation.
    I understand what he means atleast :)

But on topic, how are the potty training working for you Yackie?
    I do understand what he's saying, and even if the dogs aren't puppies, he's wrong. Training is a daily thing, from puppyhood until adulthood. You never stop training your dogs. If a dog suddenly starts peeing in the house, when he didn't before, then you retrain. You never use punishment to train, especially not a puppymill rescue. Ever!

I had no problem understanding what he wrote. He recommended a shock collar to retrain a dog with potty issues, and the OP (original poster) stated in her post that the dog is a puppymill rescue. Even for a regular dog, a shock collar to potty train is atrocious. For a puppymill dog it's animal abuse, it's the worst of the worst. I can't even put into words how very wrong his advice was, and is.

I hope that now you can understand my position better.
    Pets Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yackie View Post
    Its been going ok twdmet but the mill dog is now trying to sneak to the basement rec room...but I'm trying to keep a good eye on him and catch him before he goes!!
    Yackie, I'm not longer sure if I asked, or if you already posted this info. Are the dogs crate trained?

If not, I can understand. As a puppymill dog he would have spent every minute of every hour of every day in a cage, putting him back into one could cause more issues than it would fix. But I do have to ask, because this could help solve your issue if the puppymill rescue feels safe in a crate.

Nov 6, 2012, 07:40 PM
    He does go in his crate when we go out and is comfortable in there, but would I put him in there when I am home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I stop my dogs from peeing and pooing in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

We have two male shih tzus. Both neutered, both housebroken. We have had problems in the past with the younger male peeing randomly and the older dog marking over this. We are now fostering a young female shih tzu. She is not housebroken and has frequent accidents in the house and it is causing...

How to get dogs to stop peeing in the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have to dogs and 1 is very old and I saved to other one about 4 years ago. And no the two are peeing only in 2 rooms the bathroom and the kitchen floor just the floor

How do I stop my dogs from peeing in my house [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 Miniature Yorkshire Terriers a ***** and a dog they are doth between 1 and 2 years old. My dog constantly pees on my washing machine in my kitchen and in his bed. It don't matter how many times I let him out he will always pee there especially in the night. I make sure I take his food and...

Dogs won't stop peeing in house and behavior changes [ 2 Answers ]

We own two dogs. One is named Bear, she is a 9 month old flat coat retriever. We adopted her from a fellow college student back in December. The other dog we named Foxie and she is a two year old retirever mix we adopted from the humane society about a month ago. We made sure the two dogs got...

View more questions Search