Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2012, 03:46 AM
    Climate change??
    Hello:

Look, I'm a climate change denier too, but this is some crazy weather we're having, huh?

So, even though global warming is a hoax, if my home had been destroyed by Sandy, I wouldn't temp fate again. I'd move or rebuild it on stilts. You?

98% of the worlds scientists AGREE that climate change is REAL, but I'm going to stick with the 2%. I LOVE underdogs. 98% of the worlds doctors AGREE that cholesterol isn't good for your heart.. But, I don't LIKE that idea, so I'm going with the 2%.

Is going with the 2% smart?

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 04:58 AM
    If I worried about climate change, the end of the world, what the other 2% were doing, I wouldn't enjoy what I have in the hear and now. The only thing I don't like the thought of is, is leaving my son to whatever happens in the world after I go.

So, you, exxy, I am with you, but I know you are not hairbrained enough to go off the deep end and destroy your cholesterol intake.

I do believe what David Suzuki says about protecting the world oceans though, fishing some species out within the next hundred years and not being able to tap into that natural resource for very much longer. Anyway, I like fish, good for maintaining lower cholesterol.

I will toast you exxy later on with my straight-up-lots-of-olives vodka martini !
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 06:18 AM
    I'm going with the 2%, too.

Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released... and here is the chart to prove it
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2012, 06:21 AM
    Climate Changes, it's called weather ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 06:36 AM
    That's what I keep saying.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 2, 2012, 06:42 AM
    Climate change locally is a very tiny part of the very real global situation. All you have to do is look at satellite photos of depleting snow caps, the source of half the world's drinking water. The poor are indeed going to get poorer, dying of thirst and lack of crop water.

Sea rise is irregular (the earth isn't really a perfect sphere) and wouldn't you know it, the poor islands are the ones getting drowned first.

The effect on small lifeforms on land and sea, however, is an equal opportunity scenario, and already is working it's way through both pests (increasing) and small critters needed in the food chain (decreasing). People don't pay any attention to the data until it hits home for them.

Don't worry about the ozone layer and humongous increases in CO2 and flourocarbons. We'll be wiped out before we suffocate or get radiated to death or all get cancers.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Well, since we haven't warmed in 16 years I'm not too concerned. And those hurricanes that were going to increase in number and intensity ever since the Katrina era? They haven't. Prior to Sandy the last category 3 or stronger storm to make landfall in the US was Wilma in 2005. And as devastating as Sandy was, it doesn't make the top 10.

And that ice? It's expanding at record levels in Antarctica, so who knows what that means?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 2, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Looking to your own weather patterns is tunnel vision.
    Who indeed knows what the increase in ice in Antarctica means.. I'd guess that warmer air in a frigid place means more precipitation. We often say in New England 'it's too cold to snow.'
    The ice is clearly decreasing in the Arctic. Polar bear fans know all about that - they are dying off.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
    As my first post indicated, there has been no rise in temps for 16 years based on over 3,000 reporting stations all over the world. That's not looking to my own weather patterns.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 01:49 PM
    Ex let's get over this hurdle, climate change is real no matter how much we don't like the fact. That having being established, what we do about it is a different argument because much of what we have been asked to do about it is a hoax, it doesn't address the issue at all, two pennieth of nothing is still nothing

I have not denied that climate change might be happening, the extent to which man has contributed is arguable and the extent to which man can change anything is grossly exaggerated

Building your house on stilts while facing a rising ocean isn't an answer Ex it wasn't only water that moved those houses, ex, it was wind. What you have to do is build on higher ground and walk further to the beach. Marinas have to have adequate sea walls so boats cannot be washed ashore, in fact, you might start to ask yourself if owning a boat is worth it, and the idea that tunnels under sea side cities are good urban planning needs to be examined.. Atlantic City isn't the first city to have a boardwalk or similar promanade torn up by wild weather and let's hope reason preveils and they don't try to rebuild it. You also have to start to protecting electricity assets, it is not good enough that substations explode because they were not shut down early enough, wires need to be undergrounded and the hazzard of fallen wires removed and you start to set height limits on street trees as well as different standards for house construction

It is time to realise we are in a new paradigm and our thinking has to change however inconvenient this might be
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 02:37 PM
    it wasn't only water that moved those houses, ex, it was wind.
    Partly true ;it was wind ,it was water ,it was geography . Look at the map . The East coast of the US makes a perfect L shape at NYC with Long Island . The Storm surge North of landfall made a bee line for that L . Add to that the fact that in the Gulf Coast there is a nice sandy bottom of the sea floor... but here in NY ,after a shallow layer of sand ;there is a floor of bed rock that doesn't absorb a storm .
    Finally this storm was a fluke. It was what has been called a 'Perfect Storm ' in that it was already a cat.1 hurricane ;and it met up with a front that in the winter causes Nor-Easter blizzards .
    This may have been a 100 year event .It may have been a 500 year event ;but it has happened before here . None of it has anything to do with global warming despite Nanny Bloomy's bleating . Maybe he should bone up on the history .A similar hurricane hit NJ in 1904 . Was that global warming too ?
    The 'Long Island Express ' hurricane of 1938 killed 800 people . Global Warming ? Or just part of a weather pattern ?
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Well Tom if it is part of a weather pattern you should take precautions, so once a century, once every fifty years, how you get a pattern out of that, who knows. Just an unfortunate series of events but with sufficient frequency to change planning rules. Time to stop people building matchwood houses on the sea shore and create a buffer zone between the sea and development. Reality is there is sea level rise and slowly the tide is coming further in
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Time to stop people building matchwood houses on the sea shore and create a buffer zone between the sea and development.
    Perhaps.. I wouldn't oppose states doing eminent domain to make barrier islands solely for recreation or preserves. What I do oppose is people living in castles in the sand asking taxpayers to foot the bill when their sand castles crumble.

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually
    Jimi Hendrix
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
    The way I see it there is a great record in geology that shows that or climate on a planetary scale has changed many times. I believe that we are headed for a change but not as the alarmists believe but rather tied more closely to solar activity. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen and there is little we can do about it other then figure out how to survive it as a race.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2012, 02:34 PM
    then figure out how to survive it as a race.
    Well some think that the only way the race survives is to reduce its carbon footprint to nothing, but reality tells us with climate change comes food stress and there are too many of us to survive doing what we are doing. For a long time the race survived with minimum populations. This recent storm is just a taste of what will happen to large populations
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Why are hurricanes named after women?

Because they are wet and wild when they come and take your house when they leave!

I just had too...
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
    There can be no response to that
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    The way I see it there is a great record in geology that shows that or climate on a planetary scale has changed many times. I believe that we are headed for a change but not as the alarmists believe but rather tied more closely to solar activity. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen and there is little we can do about it other then figure out how to survive it as a race.
    Seems we should be protecting the very thing that protects us from the solar activities, the atmosphere.

We know that the air quality affects not only people and animals but plants and all life on the planet. And whatever mother nature throws at us, storms, droughts, or fires, mans reaction is too little to late. Even with a week's warning.

So doesn't matter if the scientists are right or wrong, our response is still not getting it!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Hello again,

When I was a kid, we used to throw our trash on the ground.. We thought the earth was big enough to hide it.. But, we discovered that it didn't go away, so we stopped doing that.. Then we started throwing our trash into the ocean... But, we discovered that it wasn't big enough to hide all the trash... So, we stopped doing that.

Now, we throw our trash into the air. SOME of us think it's big enough to hide our trash. I don't know what they been smokin..

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post

So doesn't matter if the scientists are right or wrong, our response is still not getting it!
    The whole point has been missed, it is bigger than all of us, bigger than our technology and bigger than our egos. The reality is that whatever changes we might have had a hand in we are over populated. The developed countries don't have an answer and the undeveloped countries won't have. They stand with their hands our saying feed us.We have to return to a much simpler life style and reduce our populations otherwise we are going to have wars which will do the job for us.

We just don't get it, we have developed ourselves into a corner. A few well placed explosions and all our technology is useless, all our great distribution systems and industry grind to a hault. This has been made worse by having the world become dependent on a single manufacturing source. Don't blame climate change, blame greed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Climate Change [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it there? How has it changed? What are the different perspectives? What has been done?

Climate Change? [ 195 Answers ]

Hello: I seem to recall that when it was cold, the climate change deniers said, LOOK at that. It's cold. Global warming MUST be a hoax... Ok, LOOK at that. Massive flooding in the mid west, massive drought in the south west, unending tornadoes, and a humongous snow pack. If we have a hot...

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

More bad climate change news [ 1 Answers ]

Dead trees spewing greenhouse gases Darn that Bush. Better get out there and plant those trees, or is that bad for wildfires? How does something "slowly" spew anyway? That ain't all the bad news...

View more questions Search