Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyStereotype Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Dating Laws in Quebec, Canada
    I am fourteen years old [going to be fifteen in May 2013] and I have a guy friend who is going to be twenty-two the end of this month. We have been best friends since I was nine and he was sixteen.

I have already entered the dating world when I was twelve, but never with a guy seven years older than me. We have already kissed before, and now want to officially hook up. Would it be illegal? I don't want to risk getting him arrested.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
    No. The legal age to consent to sex in Canada is 16.

If you're dating this guy you will need your parents consent. If they say no, than it's not legal. Consent to date does not mean consent to have sex, your parents can't consent to that at your age.

Why is a 22 year old interested in a 15 year old child?

Nov 5, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    No. The legal age to consent to sex in Canada is 16.

If you're dating this guy you will need your parents consent. If they say no, than it's not legal. Consent to date does not mean consent to have sex, your parents can't consent to that at your age.

Why is a 22 year old interested in a 15 year old child?
    He is actually almost 20, auto-correct wrote 22.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Still he is an adult and you are still a child. This is an unhealthy relationship, mostly on his part. I can understand your being enamored of such an older guy, but he has no business being involved romantically with a minor.

Nov 5, 2012, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Still he is an adult and you are still a child. This is an unhealthy relationship, mostly on his part. I can understand your being enamored of such an older guy, but he has no business being involved romantically with a minor.
    It's not the reason that he's older that I like him. He's been my best friend for years, as I stated in my original post. He likes me back and we both wish to have a dating relationship, not sexual interacting relationship. If we choose to go sexual after a few years when it WILL be legal and are still together then, then we shall think about it. As for right now, it's just simple dating/going steady.

Nov 5, 2012, 02:18 PM
    You don't get it. I can't imagine why a 16 yr old would be friends with a 9 yr old. Let alone best friends. That relationship bothers me. It is not a natural thing. This make me wonder about him greatly. Either he's a predator or there is something else wrong with him. In either case, you should not be in this relationship.

What do your parents think about it?

Nov 8, 2012, 08:28 AM
    You don't get it. I can't imagine why a 16 yr old would be friends with a 9 yr old. let alone best friends. That relationship bothers me. It is not a natural thing. This make me wonder about him greatly. Either he's a predator or there is something else wrong with him. In either case, you should not be in this relationship.

What do your parents think about it?
    We both are high-functioning autistic and we went to a Friday night autism group for kids aged 9-21. We met there when I was nine, and I was the youngest one there. We had a mutual friend there who was 15, I only met him before the group since our moms were friends. When I met the guy I am dating now; I had a "crush at first sight," and since we had a lot in common, we instantly bonded.

He is NOT a predator, the only thing that makes "something else wrong with him" is his autism. There really isn't anything else that makes him worrisome, since I know he hasn't had a sexual past (and neither have I for that matter). We have just been best friends for years and want to date.

We are not yet ready to tell our parents; but I assure you that we will one day, when we both feel that the time is right. With (more) law issues, I am not even living in my mother's household, but my grandmother DOES know about the relationship and accepts our decision to not tell just yet, but also stating that we WOULD have to tell them sooner than later. (Our parents also know each other, and my mother knows about the first time I kissed him before we were dating).

Everything is a story in itself, we just love each other and want to start dating slowly. We wouldn't do anything obviously illegal (like sex, partying, etc). We just want to have a simple relationship.

Nov 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
    OK, There is an exception to every rule. And now your situation is much more understandable (and acceptable).

However, I still think your parents should be told sooner than later.

Nov 9, 2012, 05:55 PM
    OK, There is an exception to every rule. And now your situation is much more understandable (and acceptable).

However, I still think your parents should be told sooner than later.
    Our parents WILL be told, but we are going to tell them when the time is right. I want them to understand how serious just our friendship is, BEFORE we tell them what is really going on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 first offence Canada, Quebec [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I recently stole $2000 in a series of 3months from my work the loss prevention officer finally stopped me. I'm getting charged for theft under 5000. I've checked around a whole bunch of sites and got most of the info I needed. What I need to know is that in canada how much time in prison would I...

Regarding Car Registration and Car Insurance (Quebec, Canada)- Urgent [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Quebec, Canada. Is it possible for a senior citizen, who had her 23 yr. old car picked up for scrap, and is no longer with a license, still able to have another car (new) registered to her name, but have another family member be the main driver of the automobile? My 83 yr.old Mother had...

Expropriation Law in Montreal Quebec Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering what measures I can take against an Expropriation by the city, in this case St-Bruno de Montarville. Thank you

Anyone from Quebec, Canada? [ 8 Answers ]

So I wanted an answer from someone who knows for sure what the legal age to drink in Quebec is. I heard that it is still 18, but I am aware that some have changed the age to 19 Please let me know. Thanks.

View more questions Search