Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weekend_warrior Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 03:46 PM
    US citizen receiving >100K from non-US citizen. Gift/Loan
    Hi there,

I am wondering what the best way to receive money from a family member who is neither a US citizen or resident and that amount would be greater than 100K so I believe I have to fill out a 3520 form on my US taxes.

If I receive the money as a gift all I have to do is fill out a 3520 form to tell the US government where I got the money from and I will not owe and taxes or penalties on this money... Correct? If there is anything else you can tell me please don't hessitate to tell me.

What about if I receive this money as a loan with a small amount of interest on it? Is it treated the same as receiving it as a gift? How do I go about paying it back? (will I be taxed if I transfer more than the allowable gift amount outside of the country?). Can I write off the interest if I use it towards the purchase of a home?

I am trying to figure out how to get this money across the border legitamately without getting into trouble with the IRS. I have spoken to them and they were not able to help me.

Thank you for your help.

WW
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 06:41 AM
    There are NO transfer taxes, either sending or receiving, so the Form 3520 is the only reporting you have to deal with the gift of over $100K.

Nov 2, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    There are NO transfer taxes, either sending or receiving, so the Form 3520 is the only reporting you have to deal with with the gift of over $100K.
    Ok thanks for the answer. That's what I though.

Would it be the same if it was a loan?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Yes, it would.

Nov 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Ok thanks for your answer. I really appreciate your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Glad to help!
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 12:33 PM
    I wonder if interest would need to be charged if structured as a loan.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 04:59 PM
    The person lending the money is a non-resident alien, so any interest received is NOT taxable by the U.S.

If interest was paid by the U.S. resident, it would be considered personal interest and thus NOT deductible.
    Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
    I wonder if the interest would need to be reported on Form 1042.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 07:01 PM
    The family member probably would NOT have a SSN, and there is no reason I could think of for them to apply an ITIN.

There is no tax liability for the recipient of the Form 1042, so what would be the reason for generating one?
    Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 04:20 AM
    I wonder if there is a tax liability for the recipient. IRS Publication 519 provides in part:

"A nonresident alien’s income that is subject to U.S. income tax must be divided into two categories:
    1. Income that is effectively connected with a trade or business in the United States, and
    2. Income that is not effectively connected with a trade or business in the United States (discussed under The 30% Tax, later).

Tax at a 30% (or lower treaty) rate applies to certain items of income or gains from U.S. sources but only if the items are not effectively connected with your U.S. trade or business. *** The 30% (or lower treaty) rate applies to the gross amount of U.S. source fixed or determinable annual or periodic gains, profits, or income. *** Items specifically included as fixed or determinable income are interest ***"
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Let me review to see if I reading you
    Right.

The OP accepts the money in the form of a loan and repays it with intetest.

He generates a Form 1042.

Then the OP pays the 30% tax as the withholding requirement.

Right
    Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 05:41 AM
    Yes, that is correct. The 30% withholding is only on the interest portion of the payments. The principal portion of the payments would have no withholding.
    Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 05:42 AM
    Of course there may be exceptions to withholding (treaty, portfolio interest), but the general rule is that the 30% tax would apply.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 06:01 AM
    It seems logical, which means the OP should have his family member just GIVE him the money rather than loan it to him.
    Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Yes, a gift would likely be better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift taxes from non US citizen spouse? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident of the US since Jan. 2011. I don't have any funds on my american bank account, my life expenses are covered by my european bankaccount(credit card). My wife is a US Citizen, we are legally married here, she is working in the US and does the regular taxreports every march....

Do I have a tax liability for gift from canada to us citizen? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife received a gift from an uncle in Canada of $100,000. We file jointly in the US she is a US citizen. Our joint income is $250,000 Will she have any tax liabilty for this gift

Gift from Non resident alien to US citizen [ 17 Answers ]

My dad who is an Non-resident alien would like to gift some amout ~$30,000 from the sale of foreign assets in the foreign country into my foreign bank account, which currently has only $100.00. He will be immigrating to the US during dec'09. For 2009, he will be a Dual status alien, i.e NRA till...

I am an American citizen and someone overseas has given me a gift [ 2 Answers ]

I am an American citizen and someone overseas who is not an American citizen has given me a gift of about $50,000. What is the best way for the money to be sent and will it be taxed? There will be several people coming from that country and each could bring $10,000, but wouldn't there be qustions...

Is the gift from non-us citizen taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

My aunt who was non-US citizen living in Europe, proir her death from cancer, gave me her saving in a form gift of 90K that I transferred from abroad to my US bank account. It this money taxable or/and reportable?

View more questions Search