Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pig84 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
    finance questions
    A firm that pays out 65% of its earning as dividend has an accounting rate of return of 20%. Its P/E ratio is 10 and earnings per share is 108 cents.
    I. What is the price per share?
    II. What is the dividend yield?
    III. If shares were bought, what would be the payback period? Assume the only return is the dividend.
    IV. What is the net book value per share of the asset investment of the company?
    V. If the risk-adjusted required rate of return is 6%, what would be the NPV per share for buying shares?
    VI. Would you buy shares using AROR or NPV?
    Solution
    I. What is the price per share?
    P/E ratio x earnings per share = 10 x 108 = $10.80

II. What is the dividend yield?
    Yield = Dividend/Share price = 65%/$10.80 = 6.01%

are my answers correct? Able to advice how to go about the rest?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Nov 2, 2012, 04:00 AM
    I. Is correct.

For II, dividend yield is calculated by dividing the actual dividend---not the payout rate---by the share price. The actual dividend is found by multiplying the earnings per share by the payout rate.

The 'payback' asked for in III is the length of time it would take to recover the share price in the form of dividends. For example, if I pay $7.50 for a share of stock, and I receive a 75 ¢ dividend every year, it'll take me exactly 10 years to get back my full investment amount by way of the dividends.

In IV, use the fundamental relationship

Net Book Value Per Share times AROR = EPS.

Since you're given AROR and EPS you can solve for NBVPS.

For V, you assume the dividend payout is a perpetuity. There's a simple formula for pricing a perpetuity, when given the annual dividend amount and the appropriate discount rate (risk-adjusted ROR). It's most likely in your text; if not, Google for "present value of a perpetuity".

The answer to VI is the answer to the question, "Which method more accurately captures the true economic value of an asset?" I'm betting this is discussed in your text.

Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    I. is correct.

For II, dividend yield is calculated by dividing the actual dividend---not the payout rate---by the share price. The actual dividend is found by multiplying the earnings per share by the payout rate.

The 'payback' asked for in III is the length of time it would take to recover the share price in the form of dividends. For example, if I pay $7.50 for a share of stock, and I receive a 75 ¢ dividend every year, it'll take me exactly 10 years to get back my full investment amount by way of the dividends.

In IV, use the fundamental relationship

Net Book Value Per Share times AROR = EPS.

Since you're given AROR and EPS you can solve for NBVPS.

For V, you assume the dividend payout is a perpetuity. There's a simple formula for pricing a perpetuity, when given the annual dividend amount and the appropriate discount rate (risk-adjusted ROR). It's most likely in your text; if not, Google for "present value of a perpetuity".

The answer to VI is the answer to the question, "Which method more accurately captures the true economic value of an asset?" I'm betting this is discussed in your text.
    Thanks so much!

Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Anyone know what is the difference between accounting rate of return and required rate of return?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with finance questions [ 2 Answers ]

If an individual will retire in 17 years and currently have $300,000, and will need $1 million at retirement. What annual interest rate must that person earn to reach the goal? Round your answer to two decimal places.

Finance Questions [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1: If t = 3.52895, then the time is about 3 years and how many days? __30 or __300 or __ 52 or __150? Question 2: If a business borrows $24,000 and repays $39,300 in 5 years, what is the simple interest rate? I had $21.43% but it was incorrect. Could you show me how your...

Finance Questions [ 3 Answers ]

2. Which of the following should be classified on the balance sheet as short-term (current) liabilities? That portion of a 5-year 30-year bonds due within one insurance policy to be year of the balance sheet...

View more questions Search