Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 08:51 AM
    First time home buyer receives property from transfer
    I want to take advantage of using a retirement account to purchase a home as a first time home buyer. If a relative transfers a house to me that is already paid for , am I still considered a first time home buyer ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Hello W:

The status of the seller isn't the question.. It's YOUR status that makes you a first time buyer.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
    And there is no such thing as a transfer, it is a purchase. If and when they sign the deed over to you, you have purchased it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2012, 09:29 AM
    However, you have to pay fair market value. If you don't the IRS may look at part of the sale as a gift.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time home buyer credit and Home mortgage in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in H1b. In 2008 tax return , I claimed my Indian mortgage interest. I bought a home in US in 2009 and claimed first time home buyer credit. But IRS said I'm ineligible to get my first time home buyer credit since last year I claimed home mortgage interest detection. Can I say IRS , the...

First time home buyer tax credit (Own home in foreign) [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo in India 2 yrs ago (2007) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India. On advice of my tax filers, Last...

First time home buyer or not [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and am in college. My mother passed away recently. I received a copy of her will. Myself and my 2 sisters are the beneficiaries each owning equal shares. In the trust, there is a Bill of Sale for all her property to the trust. My sisters wanted to keep the house. So, I agreed....

First time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

I have bad credit and never owen a home what are my chances?

View more questions Search