Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ana Sm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Insuring separated husband
    Just need a definite answer from someone who knows what they are talking about. My husband (74) and I (66) are both seniors. The only reason I would want a life insurance policy on my husband is to insure some kind of security for myself, as all I have at the present is a very small Social Security check. He is presently living with another woman. We are not divorced. Can someone give me an answer? He is presently living in Florida. I would appreciate some kind of honest answer. Even writing this I afraid he may find my request.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. To avoid confusion I've moved your post to it's own thread.

As I said in my response to the other thread, I don't think its illegal, So what you NEED to do is contact insurers and explain the situation, and see if they will write a policy.
    Senior Lass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Thank you. As you can see I do not know that much about computers. Would you know of any Insurance companies I could contact. Once again I appreciate you quick reply.
    Senior Lass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Can I get a life insurance for my husband without his consent. He does not believe or approve of any kind of insurance. I just want to protect myself, as my only income is a very small Social Security check. Also I would not have money to pay for his funeral. Can some one who has good knowledge with regards to insurance please respond. He is 74 years old and I am 66 years old. He presently lives in Florida. I would only appreciate honest answers. Thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
    Call your public library's reference desk to get the names of highly rated life insurance companies and contact phone numbers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
    They are going to want medical history. 74 is awfully late to be getting insurance and will be very expensive and have lots of riders. Plus he won't be covered at all for the first 2 years, usually. There are no 'exact' answers because there are so many kinds of life insurance. But I am afraid you are going to find that this is the wrong approach to security for yourself.

Personally I would look into divorce as a better option. What if he has a will leaving everything to someone other than you? (Of course we don't know what financial arrangements you have with him for the present.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2012, 04:38 AM
    Did you open a new account?

I agree with Joy. There are any number of life insurance companies you can contact. There are WEB sites that will offer policies from many companies. Just search on Life Insurance. But getting insurance for a 74 yr old is going to be very expensive and hard to find an underwriter to do so without a physical exam.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
    You say you need the policy for your financial security, but it's not clear that your income would be reduced if he dies. As his spouse you would be entitled to survivor's benefits, which depending on his and your work history may actually be greater than theSS benefits you receive now (which I assume are based solely on your work history, not his). Plus you would receive death benefits from SS which can help with funeral expenses. You really would only need insurance on him if he is currently sending you money every month which would be cut off if he dies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-husband met an attractive woman separated from her husband but living with him [ 1 Answers ]

Is it meant to be they meet at a hockey camp her separated and unhappy my x stated had a lot of problems and talked to me about them it meant he opened up about his problems fights with two teenage sons one stealing and trouble at school the other diabetic head boy letting his steam off at home as...

Can I file taxes legally separated if I was not legally separated from my husband? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I separated in December 2008 but he didn't not want to file papers for a legal separation. Can I still file taxes as Legally Separated? Or do we have to file together or married filing separately?

Can I sue my husband (we are separated) [ 6 Answers ]

Can I sue my husband (we are separated) for money we owe on credit cards, we have some that are in my name and his (joint) and the rest are in my name acquired ONLY after we got married and came to the USA:mad:

Separated, but in love with my husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a huge problem(at least it seems like it to me). My husband said he wanted a divorce 10 months ago ( he said he wasn't ready for marriage then, even though we'd been married for 2.5 years), we've been separated ever since. I was shocked and thought I wouldn't be able to live without...

View more questions Search