Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xDado Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
    I need a lot of help, this may be complicated.
    Hello, I'm new to these forums, and I'm very glad that I came across this website today while trying to do some research.
    I'm in a big conflict right now and I wouldn't like to get into it, but I will sum it up.

Basically, my Mother is treating me badly (verbally) because she recorded a conversation, and a couple friends and I was talking about doing marijuana, so she keeps threatening me saying I'm ****ed because she has a recording of me.

She recorded two of my friends and I in my house while she was gone without letting any of them know (I say them and not us, because I am only a minor). I am 16, they are both 18.

Is that legal?

She also changed my schedule at school, and made the school tell me I can't leave anymore during lunch. Also, they said they have 'probable cause' and can search me at any time now because of my Mom.

Is that legal as well?

Is there any way I'd be able to stay with a friend? Their parents agreed to take care of me for a while if I needed a place to go.

Is there any way I can leave here temporarily?

Again, I'm 16. My Mom verbally treats me terribly, and tomorrow she's taking my phone, and computer away and I'm already not allowed to leave the house or see anyone.

Now you may realize she really doesn't care about how I feel. I've told her plenty of times she makes me feel super ty, and all she says is "you feel ty because you're a druggy/junky/addict". I don't mean I feel physically ty. I mean I feel mentally depressed, and I'm actually starting to get sick of being in this world.

I'm not saying I'm going to do anything stupid, I just need some help. Fast. If someone could please help me(if you took the time to read all this), I would really really really appreciate it, you would be a life saver. Thank you for taking the time to help me out if you can everybody. -Dado
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Do you smoke or have you smoked marijuana?

Do these friends smoke it?

Oct 30, 2012, 03:03 PM
    I have at one point, they have at one point.
    But that's not what I'm concerned about.
    Please get back to me on the other information if you could, that's what I'm looking for. Thank you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
    As you said, you are a minor. No, you can't stay with a friend (you'd be considered a runaway). It sounds like your mother is being a responsible parent and is doing exactly what I would do to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Do you want ideas on how to get back her trust?

Oct 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
    No, I'm really not looking for her trust. She's verbally treating me like sh*t.
    Is the recording legal to have?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
    It doesn't matter if the recording is legal or not as she's not taking you to court. It would be different if she were suing you, but she's not.

Now, you got yourself into a heap load of trouble and she's actually being the responsible parent by punishing you.

As WG has said, no you can't go live at a friends house as you would be considered a runaway.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
    ... she makes me feel super ty, and all she says is "you feel ty because you're a druggy/junky/addict".. .
    What does "ty" mean?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What does "ty" mean?
    I'm guessing the automated site censor deleted the letters that rhyme with "bitty."
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
    I'm not sure if any apply, but Urban dictionary has some pretty colorful definitions of ty.
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
    I'm guessing it's not "witty".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    I'm not sure if any apply, but Urban dictionary has some pretty colorful definitions of ty.
    You made me go look. I don't think he meant "thank you." I'm sticking by the automatedly censored "s-h-....t-t-y"
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You made me go look. I don't think he meant "thank you." I'm sticking by the automatic censored "s-h-....t-t-y"
    That makes more sense, I didn't know there was an automatic sensor.
    There were some other meanings, not just thank you. Did I say colorful?

Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
    I meant sh*tty.

Oct 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It doesn't matter if the recording is legal or not as she's not taking you to court. It would be different if she were suing you, but she's not.

Now, you got yourself into a heap load of trouble and she's actually being the responsible parent by punishing you.

As WG has said, no you can't go live at a friends house as you would be considered a runaway.
    She isn't taking me to court, but she is threatening me saying she will put my friends in jail, even though there was no proof that anything was done on that night since it's just an audio recording. Am I right?
    Expert

Oct 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xDado;
    She isn't taking me to court, but she is threatening me saying she will put my friends in jail, even though there was no proof that anything was done on that night since it's just an audio recording. Am I right?
    No, you probably are not.

An audio recording may be proof. How good a proof it would be is for the lawyers to argue, but they are used all the time.

If your friends are prosecuted for something it will be up to their attorneys to determine whether it's admissible. Laws vary, but the fact that it was recorded in her home may make a difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help me... this complicated [ 2 Answers ]

This story is really long... I'll try and make it short So like I had two bestfriends I'll just call them A&B... So my friend A was on Facebook and she met a guy and she then really liked him so she told me and B about him... she add him to a private group we had on FB then... he send me a...

Complicated [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 7 yrs but he is married... I never knew he was until she called and told me... We did break up that same day for 2 yrs and we got back together... After a year later I met another man who I know for a fact that will always take care of me and love me regardless......

Will it get too complicated. [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently split from my husband of 7 yrs! We had problems about 18 months ago & never really come through them although we did try. We have now completely drifted apart. I have started having contact with an old friend who is also just out of a long term relationship... we get on...

So Complicated! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I was in a relationship for 5 years, when I met him I knew that he was the one I wanted to be with forever. However, after we had a child, these feelings had changed. I broke up with him about 4 months after our child's birth. And started dating a great guy, but I still thought about my ex a lot...

My dad is so complicated! [ 9 Answers ]

All right everyone, this is going to be a long one so just bare with me for a few minutes... My parents have been happily married for 26 years now, they love each other to death but sometimes my dad just doesn't understand the concept of family. My parents are fairly wealthy, My dad works...

View more questions Search