Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Inheritance tax for Resident alein (green card)
    What are the rules for paying inheritance tax for green card holder living in US for 10 years and married to US citizen. I know that US citizens are exempt for an estate of 2 mill or less.
    I paid inheritance tax in Japan do I have to prove how much I paid to the IRS?
    Please let me know what you think and what IRS forms to quote or look at.
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 10:57 PM
    If you inherited in Japan and paid those taxes, you are probably exempt from U.S. estate taxes to the extent that you paid to Japan, PLUS $2 million.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 15, 2007, 06:30 AM
    It depends. If the person inheriting it is a US citizen, it's basically straightforward and the same as the US situation. If the spouse inheriting it is NOT a US citizen, but is inheriting it from a US citizen spouse, it's not quite so straightforward.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:27 PM
    I yield to TaxSearcher's greater knowledge and experience!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I just got my temporary Green card for 2 years by marrying American citizen. But my husband took off and I don't know where is he now ? Maybe he'll come back during those 2 years, but what if not ? How can I still get a Permanent Green card after those 2 years ? Can I divorce him and still...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I have applied for my renewal green card 10 years exp 11/13/06. I have not rec'd it yet but will travel outside country and return 11/10/06 3 days before exp date. My passport up to date. Is this OK?

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search