Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandamaddux Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Potty training
    My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he will go in his pants about 5-10 min later what should I do?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Have you tried putting fruitloops in the potty to see if he can aim at them? I did this with my two oldest boys and they were trained within the week. Also, do you have a reward system in place for when he does use the potty? You can try using this as story time, read to him while he is on the potty.

Apparently there is something you may not be doing that is being done when he is with his father or grandparents. Have you asked them what they use for a potty routine?

Also, you need to be consistent.

Remember, he will do it at his own pace. No child goes to kindergarten in diapers. K? ;)

Mar 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
    He Wants To Sit Down To Go I Have Tried Giving Him A Stool To Stand On And Say Things Like Daddy Stands Up When He Gose Potty But He Won't Do It And When I Put Fruit Loops In The Toilet He Tells Me Fruit Loops Don't Belong In The Toilet
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
    LOL, okay, well some boys are like that, my youngest was.

Have you tried a reward system? M&Ms, his favortie candy, stickers?

Mar 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalalalaLAUREN
    Its Probly Because Your Forcing Him To Use The Potty. Or Because He May Feel More Comfortable With Guys . So I Suggest That When U Do Put Him On The Potty Leave Him Alone (=d)
    I don't force him we all use the same method of going in a putting him on the toilet every hour and this works for his grama and grampa dad and his dads girlfriend it even works at daycare and preschool but he refuses to go for me when i ask him why he won't potty on the toilet for mommy he laughs and won't answer me if i leave the room he gets off the toilet and puts his pants back on then in about 10 min he pees in them.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I understand your dilemma. My youngest who just turned 5 was like this.

So, the same routines and methods are used everywhere he is?

Does he still use pullups or diapers?

Mar 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Yeah But He Gets Board With Them Quick Sometimes I Get So Frustrated I Just Put A Pull Up On Him And Wait For Him To Tell Me He Needs To Be Changed Or That He Needs To Go But He Doesn't Seem To Care If Pees In The Pull Up. He Goes #2 On The Toilet No Problem But He Wants The Light Off And The Door Shut I Just Don't Get It Is He Just Lazy Or Is It A Game To Him? Its Getting Really Hard To Deal With Because We Have A 7 Year Old And He Gets Pee Allover Her Things And Then She Gets Upset But I Can't Be Mad At Him For Doing It

Mar 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
    I Try Not To Put Pull Ups On Him But Sometimes I Have To If I Can't Fallow Him Around And Give Him My Undevided Attention He Wets His Pants
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 12:44 PM
    First of all Amanda, please turn off your caps. It looks as though you are yelling.

Now, I do understand your frustration. And yes, he may get bored with the reward system, but what sometimes helps is to have several different rewards in place and let him pick the one he wants.

As I don't know your parenting style, and I don't want to assume anything, I am guessing that it is a game to him. He knows he is getting to you and it is his way of maintaining control of one of the only things he has left from "babyhood"

Potty training can be a control issue for some kids. If you let him do it on his own time it will be less frustrating. Don't make a big deal of it. If he doesn't want to go, just say okay, you know where the potty is, you go all by yourself like a daddy when you are ready. And leave it at that.

No punishment if he does go in his pants. If he knows that he is frustrating you, this will continue. Remember, it is a control issue. He is trying to assert his independence at this age, any way he can, and it appears he is using the potty as his method of control.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Again, please turn off your caps.

If he wets his pants, let him stay in them for a few minutes. Don't follow him, he is using control.

Mar 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Thank you for all the suggestions I have gotten today I will try them all I saw a comment on someone else page about riding the pony meaning sitting on the toilet backwards and I tried it and he seems to like it he went potty on the toilet without a fight I hope it works

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search