Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flammingstarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Please help, my friend owes me money & refuses to pay it back. Legal action?
    Hi,
    I am hoping that you will be-able to help me.
    My friend and myself have been friends for years and we have been on holiday together previously 5 years ago.
    We decided to book a holiday for June 2013 to give us something to look forward to and give us time to save/pay the balance bit-by-bit.
    At the time she was a little short of money and I had been working lots of hours so had a few very good wages so we booked the holiday and agreed that I would pay the deposit and some money off the holiday and she would pay me back at/around Christmas when I would be struggling.
    Now we have fallen out and she is refusing to speak to me even though I have sent her several e-mails/texts trying to resolve things, I even sent a cute card, friendship bracelet and keyring in the hope we could sort things out.
    She is now totally refusing to pay me any of my money back despite me threatening her with Small claims court.
    I have just sent her a final e-mail saying she has 72 hours to pay the money back or I will be making a claim to SCC. I have evidence of all of the payments I have made and texts/e-mails to prove that she owes me the money.
    I have paid a total of £400 of which £350 was the deposit. I have spoken to the holiday company and I stand to lose £350 of the balance, the deposit.
    If I take this matter to SCC, I will be claiming the full amount that I have lost - £350.00 plus whatever it has cost me to bring the matter to court. [Total approx £450.00] Would I be allowed to do that or only claim a proportion of my losses?
    I don't know what to do, but it is clear that she is not going to pay me back and I can not afford to lose this money. My work hours have been cut, I am now working p/t and she is working full time, she earns more money than I do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
    You can claim your losses as well as the costs of suing.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
    ... I will be claiming the full amount that I have lost - £350.00 plus whatever it has cost me to bring the matter to court. [Total approx £450.00] Would I be allowed to do that or only claim a proportion of my losses?.
    £350.00 was the deposit for both of you? I suspect you will only be able to get a judgment for her portion, plus your court costs. So it would be £175.00 plus ~ £100 = ~£275

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My friend owes me money, I don't know what to do! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need some help! I want to know were I stand in court! My friend owes me a lot of money which I lent her on many occasions, she made excuses on what the money was for like paying of debts and it turns out it wasn't! I feel I was bullied into lending her the money as she threatened me time...

My friend owes my daughter money, what can I do to get it [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter babysat my friends kids for 4 days, she was paying her 50.00 a day for both kids, 25.00 for 1 kid. She said she is only giving her 70.00, which made me mad, but now I just want to get it, and she keeps argueing with me, and making excuses and won't answer my texts, what should I do? Is...

Can my friend keep my brother's Xbox because he owes the friend money? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend paid my brother money to borrow the Xbox for a set time. After the time was up he said he's going to hold on to the Xbox because my brother owes him money. The agreement was verbal and just consisted of "You'll pay me back? Right?" That was the entire agreement. Should my brother call...

My friend owes me money [ 1 Answers ]

I was seeing someone for like a month or two and I bought him a lot of things... I ask him when he would pay me back and he keeps making up excuses... I am screwed financaily and I emailed him asking for the money back. It states everything that owed me down to the dollar and says for what. It also...

Legal action against a roommate who refuses to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Mira Loma, Ca and my roommate is becoming unbearable to live with. She recently became pregnant and now that she needs to save money she is setting new rules such as (not running the air, and never using the lights),without abiding by them. As a result of this I want out of my lease. ...

View more questions Search