Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    101Sam1956 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 09:48 AM
    60 amp or 100 amp service?
    When I bought this house built in 1956 everyone who I talked to told me it was 60 amp service. Looking at the main breakers for the incoming power there are two 50amp breakers ganged together. So I have 100amp service how do I find out for sure or is my math wrong and current in parallel is still 50amps?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
    If what you have looks like a pole breaker, consisting of two 50 amp breakers , sounds like a 100 amp main. This is not done often, but what I think is happening is one two pole breaker is wired in series to arrive at 100 amps, for each hot leg.

Any way you can provide a picture of the panel cover off to see how these breakers are arranged?
    101Sam1956 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Here is a picture of the two breakers and the in coming line. There is a plastic divider between the two bus bars that the black wires are connected to.
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 07:09 AM
    That is considered as one 2 pole breaker, since that is the rating of that breaker is 50 amps, the service or feeder is only rated for 50 amps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

Sub panel on 100 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small single family house with 100 amp service. By my calculations, 100 amps is fine but the panel only has 8 circuits and I am adding a number of circuits with a bathroom/kitchen remodel. I am thinking that adding a subpanel for my kitchen will be cheaper than replacing my main panel...

100 amp service [ 6 Answers ]

I want to add some circuits to my 100 amp panel on my home. How do I calculate whether I have any room for additional load? I have a subpanel in the studio which is set from a 60 amp breaker on the main panel... Standard size home 2000 sq ft--part of the home has a studio apt. 3 fridges 2...

View more questions Search