Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Jae Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2007, 09:46 AM
    2 Firms collecting same debt
    I am currently awaiting a trial date for a Spiegel account which is being rep. by C&S law firm, the judgment was vacated. And I keep getting calls from W&A re: the same debt.

I told them it was currently in court, sent them the paperwork and they STILL keep calling! Is this legal?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2007, 09:49 AM
    If you tell them to stop calling and only contact you via mail, then its illegal. However, its not illegal for them to contact you. It could be that C&S sold the debt. You should be demanding proof thet they have the right to try and collect.

Mar 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
    So even if C&S and I are currently in court and the orig. debt is to a different company these firms are just rep. that company. Another firm and call be to collect on a debt that is currently in court?

Mar 12, 2007, 10:26 AM
    The thing is, if C&S sold the debt then that cancels any court action.

Mar 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The thing is, if C&S sold the debt then that cancels any court action.
    But C & S was the one who got the original judgement so when I did an answer they received it and on 2/07 this year they attached my account. Now two weeks ago I started to receive calls from W & A by this time I was already in court with C&S who appeared agree to vacate and has now submitted an answer to oppose my order to show cause and I am awaiting a hearing date set in June. But in the meantime How can another firm be calling to collect the SAME debt?

Mar 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I don't know. Have you asked W&A why they are trying to collect?

Mar 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
    I did and they are like oh we had referred this to C&S but now its ours and we have a judgment but C&S is the one who established the judgment and it was since vacated.

It just doesn't seem proper or legal that a firm can collect on a judgement that is currently active in the court system -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my rights against Law Firms for collection agency [ 4 Answers ]

I am not perfect and have had some health issues so I am not working so I cannot pay any debts I owe at this time. So I am being sued by 2 Law Firms for credit cards both happening around the same time. I live in New Jersey. First Law Firm sends me a summons around end of Oct and I answer the...

Incumbent firms [ 1 Answers ]

Quite simply, I don't understand why incumbent firms are called "incumbent" firms. I suspect everybody else knows, so please fill me in if you get a chance.

Firms [ 3 Answers ]

Discuss how firms raise capital, and the role of intermediaries.

Audit firms... [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone give me any specific website(s) where I can find History of Ernst & Young in Malaysia? What are the current developments in this firm? Any urgent reply would be appreciated. Thanks a lot and hope to hear the answer very soon.

View more questions Search