Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trouble 87 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2012, 03:05 AM
    Fuel gauge problems
    While trying to fix a fuel Gauge I discover that the fuel pump wad straight wired
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 05:59 AM
    You must have measured voltage at the fuel pump with the key off?
    Are you saying you found a wire that goes directly from the Battery to the Fuel Pump, uninterrupted?
    Do you hear it running?
    What Make and Year of Vehicle?

Oct 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
    U don't hear it running with the switch off
    He had it plug in to fuse that comes on with the switch. This is 87 with fuel injection. It had dual tanks but on one works. Why would he straight wire the fuel pump.by the way the fuel gauge is way pass full
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
    No sure about what you mean as straight wire. "with the switch on" Ignition switch? Its supposed to work that way. There is a fuse or relay energized from the key circuit to the fuel pump in position 2. That way, the pump only runs when running or trying to start the car.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Being an 87 narrows it down, Honda?
    If you pull the fuel pump relay and it still works, it is bypassed.
    If you pull the Fuel pump relay and it stops, then they may have connected to the circuit directly due to a bad/corroded connection?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Being an 87 narrows it down, Honda?
    If you pull the fuel pump relay and it still works, it is bypassed.
    If you pull the Fuel pump relay and it stops, then they may have connected to the circuit directly due to a bad/corroded connection?
    "dual tanks" sounds like a pickup truck.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
    ma0641, when you said position 2(II) I thought you knew some additional info?Make?
    Ask whoever did it, If you bought it like that, Check Fuel Select/Sender Valve/switch was not bypassed, when it switches tanks, it also switches sender on Many.

Nov 3, 2012, 06:07 AM
    On this 87 Chevy silvrado I replace the switch in the inside the truck& the fuel system select valve but fuel gauge still doesn't work if u ground

Nov 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
    If u ground one of the. Wires ruwnning to the fuel valve the gua.. ge. Will move but fall back to full .what else can I try
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2012, 06:30 AM
    You will need to find the colors for the senders, grounding of the fuel select may blow a fuse.
    Momentarily ground should show movement as long a the gauge is good, has power from ignition and a momentary ground to move needle. You will need someone inside watching gauge, or run a jumper to where you can view the gauge while shorting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 chevy truck fuel gauge problems [ 0 Answers ]

My 1998 Chevy silvarado fuel gauge reads full when full and empty when empty but anything gos between. It will jump between 3/4 to 1/8 in a heart beat. It may read full with only a 1/8 of a tank.

Drove the cooling high hot gauge and back to normal gauge problems? [ 0 Answers ]

Overheating problem and smell combustion gasses with the cooling. What is problem from ?

1991 Honda Civic Tack, water gauge, fuel gauge problem? [ 2 Answers ]

My tack, fuel gauge and water temp gauge all went to zero. I could not find any fuzes that were out. Is there anything that would provide power to these three items?

Fuel pump and fuel gauge on 92 accord doesn"t work,why? [ 1 Answers ]

I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL TANK ON 1992 HONDA ACCORD,NOW FUEL GAUGE AND FUEL PUMP WON'T WORK I checked fuses and I jump wired the relay as told in the manual,still nothing everything was working before leaking tank swap what could cause this?

Fuel gauge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dodge ram 1500 v8 5.2 and the fuel gauge seems to be stuck on full. Any suggetions on how to correct. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank's bakerman2:confused:

View more questions Search