Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darlenedrost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Trained puppy suddenly pooping in crate
    I have read through the threads to find a question that is exactly like mine, but didn't find one. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

I have a 5 month old recscue lab mix. She came from a very good foster family and was really easy to crate train. I am home most of the time, so she is only crated at night. We have never used her crate as a "time out" place, so she loves it. She will often go into it during the day to lay down. I just leave the door open on it. She has never elimated in her crate, until a few nights ago.

She has pooped in her crate the last five nights. I have tried so many things. I started feeding her dinner a bit earlier(5:00) and any uneaten food is taken up by 6:00. She goes out several times before bed and does go to the bathroom. She has been on the same food since we go her, Nutro Puppy, so there have been no dietary changes. We get up very early, usually about 6:00 AM, so it isn't because she is staying in her crate too long. She goes to bed around 10:00. There haven't been any changes in our house, her schedule, or feeding. She is also outside tons during the day and gets lots of activity, love and attention.

Her crate is just the right size, not too big. Because there is no extra room, the poop gets all over her.

Why would she be doing this all of a sudden and what else can I try?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
    I would start with a vet check. If she hasn't been spayed yet, talk to the vet about it. I am sure the rescue requires it. You seem to have covered many of the things that you need to do. It is possible it is a leadership issue as I have suggested to others.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Frankly, this is a tough problem with few good answers. Most of the few successful reports are drugging the dog, which I hate to see.

A good rescue will work with you. They may have more experience with it than I do.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Hi! Labman brings up a good point regarding spaying. This usually helps with behavior problems in general. The other thing, which he usually mentions and I am sure it is just an oversight (happens to us all) is that it might be time to change her from puppy chow to adult food. Puppy chow may be a bit too rich for her system now. Check with your vet on that.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 13, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darlenedrost
    I have read through the threads to find a question that is exactly like mine, but didn't find one. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

I have a 5 month old recscue lab mix. She came from a very good foster family and was really easy to crate train. I am home most of the time, so she is only crated at night. We have never used her crate as a "time out" place, so she loves it. She will often go into it during the day to lay down. I just leave the door open on it. She has never elimated in her crate, until a few nights ago.

She has pooped in her crate the last five nights. I have tried so many things. I started feeding her dinner a bit earlier(5:00) and any uneaten food is taken up by 6:00. She goes out several times before bed and does go to the bathroom. She has been on the same food since we go her, Nutro Puppy, so there have been no dietary changes. We get up very early, ususally about 6:00 AM, so it isn't because she is staying in her crate too long. She goes to bed around 10:00. There haven't been any changes in our house, her schedule, or feeding. She is also outside tons during the day and gets lots of activity, love and attention.

Her crate is just the right size, not too big. Because there is no extra room, the poop gets all over her.

Why would she be doing this all of a sudden and what else can I try?
    You have to get a new crate , or bathe it in bleach, if the puppy can smell his poop he'll poop there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy still pooping in crate [ 11 Answers ]

All right, so I wrote a few months ago about my problems with my puppy pooping in his crate. He is now over 6 months old and still doing it. I am quite sure that he has never really bonded with his crate and I do not know how to remedy this. He does not have accidents inside the house (besides the...

Potty trained puppy pooping in crate! [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a new 12 week old puppy for a week now... I know that training takes time, but he is pooping in the crate when I am at work is driving me nuts! He doesn't just go- he has to make a spectacle of it- smearing it and grinding it into everything he can reach... I have found it flung onto the...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 9-week old Golden Retriever. She sleeps in a crate next to our bed and is a gem: quiet, doesn't soil or pee. When we leave her alone (for only 2 hours maximum at this point), she has been consistently pooping/soiling her crate. It seems like separation anxiety or perhaps some form of...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 22 Answers ]

My 10 week old puppy is doing really well with training during the day, but he poops (sometimes twice a night) in his crate. His last meal of the day is at 6:45 and he usually poops twice before he goes to bed at 11:00. We get up at 3 am to take him out and he has usually gone by then. He has...

View more questions Search