Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
    How to remove pins on wood headboard and footboard
    I need to remove pins and widen slots to accept bed lock brackets to widen beds. Called Paxton and they couldn't tell me how to do it. I assumed the brackets had hooks on one side and slot on the other side but the bracket is the same on both sides.
    Here is a photo of the product.
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Pins? Pins sounds like another word for nails, rather than screws? Removing them (by prying them out with a screwdriver I guess) will weaken the wood, so you will have to drive new ones into new wood, especially on a bed frame.
    How much are you trying to widen the bed, and how is this possible, what with the rest of the structure having to widen too? I don't get it.
    Also, since the plate doesn't get wider, it sounds like you have to cut a new slot. But even that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Oct 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Pins? Pins sounds like another word for nails, rather than screws? Removing them (by prying them out with a screwdriver I guess) will weaken the wood, so you will have to drive new ones into new wood, especially on a bed frame.
    How much are you trying to widen the bed, and how is this possible, what with the rest of the structure having to widen too? I don't get it.
    Also, since the plate doesn't get wider, it sounds like you have to cut a new slot. But even that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    The pins are the metal lugs inside the slot that the bedrail hooks onto.
    The bracket then goes into that slot after it is widened and the pins removed and you hook the rails into the outer slots on the bracket. The inside of the bracket can still be used if you want a full size bed again.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Sorry, I'm usually good at this but I haven't a clue what is going on with that bed!

Oct 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Can't find info anywhere so I just got out my grinder and got one side done and working on the other side of footboard. Will post pic when done.
    bobklein Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
    Sorry I did not see your question sooner. Getting the metal pins out isn't too difficult if you can work from the inside of the upright post in which they are encapsulated. They are usually 5/16 inch in diameter and about 1-1.5 inches long at most. Sometimes 1/4 inch in diameter.

Drilling and punching out from the opposite directin works without damaging the surrounding wood.

Hope you got it done OK. Many times a piece of wood is glued and screwed, a shaped piece, and fastened to the outside of the post to widen the rail spacing. That requires some more woodworking skills but is still doable with some clear instruction and directions.

Bob klein
    Roberts antiques and restorations
    Pensacola fl

Dec 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
    Thanks! I got it done and the box spring fits perfect now. I have ALL the wood working tools and they came in handy but a novice wouldn't be able to install these brackets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you remove stain from a wood door [ 6 Answers ]

Help ! I hired a professional ( or thought I did... recommended from Angie's List ) to stain my new Wood Doors. He stained the exterior a different color (lighter) than the interior side of the door. The door is an expensive Wood Door, (Mahogany.Wood) how can I fix it without ruining the Door or...

Remove stain drips from wood [ 0 Answers ]

I unfortunately did not read how to stain my nicely sanded pine wood before I attempted to stain it. No good. Now I have stain drips from when I did one side and it dripped onto the other side. I stained saddle racks which are triangular in shape.

Do I have to remove Rotten Wood? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rot problem where a deck is bolted to the end joist. The rot goes right through the joist. It is impossible to remove the section of joist without removing the deck and this is just not possible. Does all the rotten would need to be removed? If the water leak is eliminated, will it...

How do I remove wood stain? [ 5 Answers ]

I have stained a door with a water based wood stain and it looks terrible :eek: can anyone tell me to remove it please??

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

View more questions Search